Re: [carfree_cities] Car Free Cities

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2001
      Andy Morris said:

      >One last point, if someone its me at speed, in a car that exceeds the 'farty
      >car' spec, can we not make the manufacturer and retailer take some
      >responsibility? They sold a machine that was dangerously over powered and
      >encouraged an irresponsible attitude in the driver.

      I've often wondered why the manufacturers are not routinely
      sued in any case in which speeds in excess of the posted
      65 mph (in the USA) are involved. It would be simple to prove
      in court that the manufacturers are encouraging illegal
      behavior. Take this quote (from the book):

      Distant thunder, cold as stone,
      a V8 screams down from its throne.
      One by one, each car succumbs.
      Something wicked
      this way comes.

      Naught-to-sixty in 5.7 seconds: Once a figment of the
      imagination, now a fixture of intimidation. All courtesy of
      the 300-horsepower, 32-valve V8 which seethes within
      this, the fiercest automatic sedan in the world.

      The new GS
      Faster. Sleeker. Meaner.

      and my comment:

      Full text of a Lexus advertisement. The car is shown hurtling through
      a burned-out forest. What an odd way to sell a car.
      The New Yorker Magazine
      2 February 1998, inside cover

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2001
        At 06:07 PM 2/7/2001, Andrew wrote in part:

        >Andy Morris wrote:
        >
        > > Being a car-free individual in a car-addicted city is
        > > hard. Once you own a car, the perceived incremental cost per journey is
        > > lower than public transport.
        >
        > >> This is not true- the car is still very expensive to maintain and if
        > you put a
        >cost on life, it is definitely cheaper to take public transportation,
        >especially
        >when every 40 seconds somebody dies from an automobile (American Public
        >Transportation Association).

        Hi, Andrew.

        I don't think Andy meant that the per-journey cost of auto operation is
        lower than public transit. He was reminding us that, once a car owner is
        paying all of the other costs of ownership, it may *seem* to that owner
        that the additional (incremental) cost of hopping into the car for a trip
        to the store is very low, perhaps even cheaper than taking the tram or bus.

        This problem of perceived cost is a major barrier to discussing the
        relative economies of auto operation vs. public transit. So many of the
        costs of automobility are either hidden or paid by society as a whole that
        it often seems much cheaper than it really is.

        -Doug
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2001
          J.H. Crawford wrote:

          >>One last point, if someone its me at speed, in a car that exceeds the
          'farty
          >>car' spec, can we not make the manufacturer and retailer take some
          >>responsibility? They sold a machine that was dangerously over powered and
          >>encouraged an irresponsible attitude in the driver.

          >I've often wondered why the manufacturers are not routinely
          >sued in any case in which speeds in excess of the posted
          >65 mph (in the USA) are involved. It would be simple to prove
          >in court that the manufacturers are encouraging illegal
          >behaviour. Take this quote (from the book):

          Do you think speed governors or photo radar would help? Dawson