Re: [carfree_cities] Re: suggestions for best warm U.S. cities for non-drivers?

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2001
      =v= Probably the best car-free living I've experienced has been
      in adjoining cities of Berkeley and Oakland, California. The
      streets are pretty calm, for city streets, and there's a rail
      system that makes it somewhat handy to bring bike and self to
      quite a variety of interesting places. (It's a very expensive
      rail system, and it's usurped a *very* nice light rail system
      that used to operate in these cities, so of course things could
      be much better.)

      =v= These are reasonably warm places to live. Since they're
      across the bay from the "Golden Gate," they get some ocean
      breezes which make their climate "Mediterranean." The areas
      north and south and east of them are even warmer, but I'm afraid
      that they're all car-clogged suburban sprawl Hell. (West gets
      you to the fogbound and chilly coast.)
      <_Jym_>

      http://www.critical-mass.org/ :: also a bicycle." :: (_)/ (_) ::

      "There should be 1,000 of you out there, like in San Francisco."
      -- Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown,
      to Oakland Critical Mass