ecology term: car habitat

  • Bruce Minturn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      From the final draft of the Stormwater Manual for Western Washington
      (produced by the Washington State Department of Ecology):

      "A dramatic reduction is necessary in the amount of impervious
      surfaces and artificially landscaped areas we create to
      accommodate our preferred housing, play, and work environments,
      and most significantly, our transportation choices. It is estimated
      that 65% of the impervious surfaces are created to provide "car
      habitat." Therefore to make appreciable progress in reducing
      impervious surfaces in a watershed, we must reduce the density of
      our road systems, alter our road construction standards, reduce
      surface parking, and rely more on transportation systems that do
      not require such extensive impervious surfaces (rail, bicycles,
      walking)."

      Bruce