Re: [carfree_cities] Squash the 6 lobes?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
      Mark Watson said:

      >Wouldn't tighter curves slow the metro down? And make it more noisy?

      It adds to the total curvature, but does not reduce the radius
      of the tightest curve, which the design keeps quite gentle. This
      isn't really a problem.

      >Are we talking about making the 'loop' of each lobe 'linear'? Like the
      >spokes of a wheel. IMO, this only helps some bike/ped trips & makes others
      >longer.

      The closed loop has some operational advantages and sometimes
      provides shorter routing for trips within the lobe. It's
      not essential, and in some cases may be impossible to achieve.
      It's simply, IMHO, the ideal.

      >Or 'folding' the lobes themselves next to each other? Why would you do this
      >unless you are constricted by the local geological features?

      That, and a shortage of land, are the only real reasons I can see.

      >And, assuming
      >you are starting fresh, the most efficient spot for the 'hub' is in the
      >center. Working from what exists is a different story...

      Adapting the reference design to existing cities will be an art,
      not a science.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com