Re: [carfree_cities] Squash the 6 lobes?

  • Mark Watson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
      Wouldn't tighter curves slow the metro down? And make it more noisy?

      Are we talking about making the 'loop' of each lobe 'linear'? Like the
      spokes of a wheel. IMO, this only helps some bike/ped trips & makes others
      longer.

      Or 'folding' the lobes themselves next to each other? Why would you do this
      unless you are constricted by the local geological features? And, assuming
      you are starting fresh, the most efficient spot for the 'hub' is in the
      center. Working from what exists is a different story...

      Mark
      Work to become, not to acquire

      Mark Watson __o
      `\<
      (o)/(o)

      mark_a_watson@... Seattle, WA, USA
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
        Mark Watson said:

        >Wouldn't tighter curves slow the metro down? And make it more noisy?

        It adds to the total curvature, but does not reduce the radius
        of the tightest curve, which the design keeps quite gentle. This
        isn't really a problem.

        >Are we talking about making the 'loop' of each lobe 'linear'? Like the
        >spokes of a wheel. IMO, this only helps some bike/ped trips & makes others
        >longer.

        The closed loop has some operational advantages and sometimes
        provides shorter routing for trips within the lobe. It's
        not essential, and in some cases may be impossible to achieve.
        It's simply, IMHO, the ideal.

        >Or 'folding' the lobes themselves next to each other? Why would you do this
        >unless you are constricted by the local geological features?

        That, and a shortage of land, are the only real reasons I can see.

        >And, assuming
        >you are starting fresh, the most efficient spot for the 'hub' is in the
        >center. Working from what exists is a different story...

        Adapting the reference design to existing cities will be an art,
        not a science.

        ###

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com