New Issue of New Colonist

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2001
      The February issue of The New Colonist is now online at
      http://www.newcolonist.com This month's Featured City is Zagreb,
      Croatia, with articles exploring a hundred years of city planning amid
      the turmoil of war and revolution there.

      Also featured are articles by Jane Holtz Kay, Fancis Raven, Ann Barrett,
      and a bright young writer from San Francisco named Zoe Abrahms, as well
      as editorials by Eric Miller and Richard Risemberg, plus Citysongs,
      surveys, city guide pages, and the Roadkill Bill cartoon!

      Visit The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

      Thank you,

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
      M. K. Gandhi
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
        It's here! Go to http://www.newcolonist.com and peruse our November
        issue. We are featuring Urban Rivers this month, as well as general
        interest stories, Street Food, the Roadkill Bill cartoon, and
        editorials.

        River stories cover Los Angeles, Chicago, Winnipeg, Portland, and cities
        in Wisconsin and Kansas; we also present Ryan Caviglia's tale of
        development gone wrong in Kansas City, as well as Sally Chung's review
        of a new farmer's market in Silverlake.

        November's editorials explore the value of place and the pleasures of
        city living.

        The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."
        M. K. Gandhi

        deserve neither liberty nor safety."
        Benjamin Franklin
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2001
          The December issue of The New Colonist is online now at
          http://www.newcolonist.com This month we explore Downtown Shopping,
          since many of you will be shopping for holiday gifts in the next few
          weeks; we will also present our usual slew of articles on a variety of
          topics, including Arianna Huffington's latest piece on SUVs and the flag
          frenzy, plus Street Food, Citysongs, Roadkill Bill, our editorials, and
          other regular features.

          Something please you excessively, or get you hot under the collar? We
          now have a bulletin board as well as our regular email forum; go to our
          Feedback section to join either one, or to read selected letters to the
          editor. All at The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
          just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
          to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

          Lu Hsun
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
            Happy New Year to all, and wishes for a peaceful and prosperous time for
            all peoples in all places in this complicated world during the coming
            year....

            The New Colonist offers you our first issue of the year, now online and
            available at http://www.newcolonist.com This month's theme is Food in
            the City, so pull up a chair and dig in to articles on eating in LA,
            Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and other cities, as well as stories on New
            Urbanist developments in Louisville, programs to create sustainable
            environmentally-clean businesses that also eliminate welfare, and the
            hassles in of living behind walls that are just too thin for privacy,
            plus our usual Citysongs and Editorials. All online today at
            http://www.newcolonist.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 30, 2002
              The May issue of theh New Colonist is online and available at
              http://www.newcolonist.com This month we feature "Seers & Shapers,"
              people past and present whose efforts continue to nurture our cities and
              help them become the places that best can nurture our humanity. We
              include an interview with Jane Jacobs and stories about George Pullman,
              Jane Addams, J. H. Crawford, and Chicago neighborhood activist Enrique
              Salgado, as well as most of our usual features and editorials. All at

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2002
                The New Colonist presents its November 2002 issue, online today at
                http://www.newcolonist.com This month we are presenting The Best of
                The New Colonist, a selection of our favorite articles, essays, and
                features from the last two years. Click on over and see what you've
                missed if you just got to know us, or, if you're one of our "charter
                readers," see whether you agree with our selections. And don't forget
                our editorials, new for this month, with links to the editors' favorites
                listed beneath each excerpt. All on The New Colonist, at

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                  Hello All--

                  The August issue of The New Colonist is now online at
                  http://www.newcolonist.com This month's feature articles cover:

                  *The Spamming of Boston, by Jane Holtz Kay
                  *Light Rail and Omaha, by Eric C. Miller and Gerald Kopiasz

                  We also present our usual editorials and features, including:

                  *We Must Keep Going, Richard Risemberg's musings on the driving,
                  solitude, tragedy, and age
                  *Yesterday and Tomorrow, Eric Miller's tale of two cities
                  *Spitak, the wonderful LA bakery with the awful name

                  For subscribers, there are now nearly 500 articles, editorials, essays,
                  and reviews in our archives...and for non-members, subscriptions are on
                  sale now: join up for only $2.99 for three months! Just click on the
                  orange "Subscribe" link on the left side of the homepage.

                  The New Colonist...we're about life in the city!

                  http://www.living-room.org
                  http://www.newcolonist.com

                  "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
                  an obligation; every possession, a duty."
                  John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 29, 2003
                    Hello All--

                    The November issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                    http://www.newcolonist.com (We are publishing a day early this time to
                    accommodate staff vacations.)

                    Among our offerings this month are:

                    *The Property Rights Hypocrisy,by Keith Schneider
                    *If We Change It, They Will Come, by Eric Miller
                    *Brozers: Burgers in Tokyo, by Mike L. Wong

                    Plus our editorials:

                    *Space Adventure, by Richard Risemberg
                    *Pittsburgh Pilgrimage, by Eric Miller

                    And of course there is our archive of over 500 articles, essays,
                    reviews, and more, much of it illustrated with fine photography, and all
                    of it dedicated to urban living, community, sustainability, and a good
                    life for all.

                    So click on over to http://www.newcolonist.com and magnify your world!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
                      Well, another month has come, and so here's the latest issue of the New
                      Colonist, online now at http://www.newcolonist.com For December we
                      feature the following articles, editorials, and reviews:

                      *Lighting Up Pittsburgh
                      Discover a new holiday tradition in a reinvented city

                      *Striking It Rich in St. Louis Groceries
                      A grocery strike sends the author on a voyage of discovery

                      *A Tale of Two Spaces
                      Richard Risemberg explores two modern-day souks in Los Angeles

                      *Residents
                      Eric Miller covers the forgotten value in the downtown equation

                      *Book Review: The Voluntary City

                      *Street Food: Dim Sum on Lake Erie

                      Plus our huge sustainability and urban lifestyle archive, our City
                      Pages, and our Corner Store, all at http://www.newcolonist.com for one
                      and all to enjoy.

                      Thnak you,

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 31, 2003
                        Welcome to 2004 and another new issue of the New Colonist! Go to
                        http://www.newcolonist.com to read our latest articles, including:

                        *What Are They Afraid Of?, Keith Schneider's analysis of conservative
                        opposition to the growth of Smart Growth

                        *Pedestrian Streets, a photo essay exploring the phenomenon in Japan,
                        Argentina, and Los Angeles

                        *A Wish for Your City, where New Colonist readers tell the world what
                        they'd like to see happen in their towns in 2004

                        And your editors' personal wish lists for Pittsburgh and Los Angeles,
                        along with over 500 articles, essays, and reviews in our archives, all
                        at http://www.newcolonist.com, and always free.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 29, 2004
                          The March issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                          http://www.newcolonist.com

                          This month's features:

                          *Sixty Days, Next Year
                          C. Haynes presents the diary of an ordinary American in the
                          extraordinary days after the fall of the House of Saud and the collapse
                          of the world oil market....

                          *Home Sick
                          Richard Risemberg turns sick days into an opportunity to reflect on the
                          differences between the inner suburb where he grew up and the vibrant
                          city neighborhood, only three miles away, where he lives now.

                          *"This Old House" and Neighborhood Rejuvenation
                          Eric Miller exposes the hidden bargains of America's oldest
                          neighborhoods, which present a chance to buy into both the real estate
                          market and the future of humanity on the cheap.

                          *Concierge
                          Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                          weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                          calculator, with more on the way!

                          *Vox Civitatis
                          Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                          assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                          state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                          And of course a wealth of
                          reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our more than
                          500-article Archive!

                          All on The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1, 2004
                            The May issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                            http://www.newcolonist.com!

                            This month's features:

                            * Waste Treatment Gets a New Look in Japan
                            Mike Wong visits the garbage dump for a very pleasant outing....
                            * Iraq, Spring 2004
                            Richard Risemberg responds to Nicholas Kristof's call for oil war
                            poetry....
                            * Cities and the Seeds of Change
                            Eric Miller explores the role of today's cities as nurseries of
                            social change....
                            * Concierge
                            Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                            weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                            calculator, with more on the way!
                            * Vox Civitatis
                            Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                            assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                            state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                            And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
                            in our more than 500-article Archive!
                            http://www.living-room.org
                            http://www.newcolonist.com

                            "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                            will not even be human."

                            RR
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
                              The February issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                              http://www.newcolonist.com!

                              This month's features:

                              • Twin Cities Turnaround
                              Karen Sandness finds her hometown's finally growing up....
                              • Our Own Day Here
                              What is culture really worth? What does it mean?...
                              • Saving the City
                              One house at a time....
                              • Concierge
                              Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
                              forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                                The July issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at http://www.newcolonist.com!
                                This month's features:

                                Tales from a Chicago Coffeehouse
                                Stories from a paradigmatic urban place....

                                Sense & Subsidy
                                Hypocrisy and community battle it out on the streets....

                                How Did This House Get Like This?
                                Abandonment and revival in Pittsburgh....

                                Concierge
                                Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!

                                Vox Civitatis
                                Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                                And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our comprehensive Archive!