Re: TRAFFIC_REDUCTION: Making transport an election issue

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2001
      Dear Anthony

      How about an explanation like this.

      No-one in power nor their academic supporters judged how much cars and roads meant to the mass of the population or the degree of popularity a divided opposition could gain by opposing measures that seemed or actually did restrict people's right to own cars and drive where they wanted in them. Those who did sense or know this disqualified themselves by attitude and rhetoric from the consensus seeking tendency of New Labour and its determination to win a full second term - not yet achieved by Labour.

      We haven't yet plumbed the depth of feeling out there about the right to drive and own a car.

      I'm unqualified to understand those feelings since I've had cars in my family since the 19th century and am bored by them (not just disgusted by the social and architectural mayhem they've made). This is about mass aspiration supported by intensive marketing compounded by years of blighted alternatives.

      Before you think I'm expressing elite contempt for mass desire I add that I would find it difficult to prise my wife from her car, my children from the desire for lifts to places in cars and most of my colleagues' and friends' and neighbours reliance on motoring as a preferred choice of travel. My travel choices are regarded politely as eccentric in most of the circles in which I move - which is why I get so much pleasure from communication with kindred spirits on the web, at the campaigning conferences I attend and in the magazines I read. I was going to say "the future belongs to us" and then I thought - er - no. My singing voice is lousy and I don't like the association one little bit (Good film tho'!). All the same we are weird bunch.

      In road transport and especially as this relates to kerbing the spread of cars we are in the same political location as civil rights in the 1920s or suffragettes in the 1880s. The legislation is just beginning to come on line for all sorts of functional as well as visionary reasons but the politics of changing attitudes to cars has only just begun.

      Carbusters and advocates of carfree cities are pacing themselves for a marathon (my father told me once that the old reformers he particularly admired were those who cared about, thought about and campaigned for a world they would not live to see. That view is at the core of the idea of sustainability - what we leave to future generations)

      Applaud small achievement by government, but also continue to espouse the maxim "quiet victories, noisy defeats." There will be many more of the latter and this requires good heart, stamina, courage and companionship.

      Best wishes

      Simon Baddeley
      34 Beaudesert Road
      Handsworth