Squash the 6 lobes?

  • cjb121@york.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2001
      Looking at the plan in the Topology section, I was wondering why the
      lobes are so spread out. Squashing them together would not only
      improve the use of space, but also shorten journey times.

      If the lobes ran about 0.7km from each other (so the districts didn't
      overlap), it would be much easier to walk between adjacent lobes than
      to ride into the center and back out again. The metro lines of
      adjacent lobes could then be brought together at a single
      district aswell (6 districts like this in all). The two lines would
      meet at this district, before pulling away from each other, without
      ever crossing.
    • Philip D Riggs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2001
        I like the spread out design because it would allow for open
        (undeveloped) space such as large parks and forests for walks, picnics,
        and wildlife refuge away from the city, yet within easy and quick access
        for the locals. But perhaps I am a little more anti-social than others.

        *******************************
        Philip Riggs
        Colorado State University
        Fort Collins, Colorado
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001
          >Looking at the plan in the Topology section, I was wondering why the
          >lobes are so spread out. Squashing them together would not only
          >improve the use of space, but also shorten journey times.

          This derives from the "City-Country Fingers" pattern, as well
          as from the desirability of having large green spaces close
          to everybody. As noted in the book, the lobes CAN be squashed
          together if necessary; I just don't regard it as idea. Transit
          time by bike would in some cases be reduced, but, oddly, it has
          no effect on travel times by metro.

          ###

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          postmaster@... Carfree.com
        • Mark Watson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
            Wouldn't tighter curves slow the metro down? And make it more noisy?

            Are we talking about making the 'loop' of each lobe 'linear'? Like the
            spokes of a wheel. IMO, this only helps some bike/ped trips & makes others
            longer.

            Or 'folding' the lobes themselves next to each other? Why would you do this
            unless you are constricted by the local geological features? And, assuming
            you are starting fresh, the most efficient spot for the 'hub' is in the
            center. Working from what exists is a different story...

            Mark
            Work to become, not to acquire

            Mark Watson __o
            `\<
            (o)/(o)

            mark_a_watson@... Seattle, WA, USA

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
              Mark Watson said:

              >Wouldn't tighter curves slow the metro down? And make it more noisy?

              It adds to the total curvature, but does not reduce the radius
              of the tightest curve, which the design keeps quite gentle. This
              isn't really a problem.

              >Are we talking about making the 'loop' of each lobe 'linear'? Like the
              >spokes of a wheel. IMO, this only helps some bike/ped trips & makes others
              >longer.

              The closed loop has some operational advantages and sometimes
              provides shorter routing for trips within the lobe. It's
              not essential, and in some cases may be impossible to achieve.
              It's simply, IMHO, the ideal.

              >Or 'folding' the lobes themselves next to each other? Why would you do this
              >unless you are constricted by the local geological features?

              That, and a shortage of land, are the only real reasons I can see.

              >And, assuming
              >you are starting fresh, the most efficient spot for the 'hub' is in the
              >center. Working from what exists is a different story...

              Adapting the reference design to existing cities will be an art,
              not a science.

              ###

              J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
              postmaster@... Carfree.com