suggestions for best warm U.S. cities for non-drivers?

  • N N
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
      I'm faced with moving to a new city and want to limit my list of
      possible choices to places I can get around in without a car. I don't
      drive at all. Currently I live in a city in the Southwestern part of
      the U.S. that is compact enough for my needs. I can go to work, visit
      friends, shop, go out to the movies and clubs without relying on a
      driver to give me a ride. I want to be able to do the same in my new
      hometown. I would prefer to avoid places where it snows. Does anyone
      have any helpful suggestions? Thanks
    • James Rombough
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
        I lived car-free in Austin, Texas for a year (the two
        previous years, I owned a car but didn't drive to the
        University or downtown).

        I would have stayed there after graduation, but the
        only jobs available in my field (actuarial science)
        are with the TX state government (subsistence wages).

        Austin has been growing rapidly over the last 8-10
        years. It was noticable just in the three years I
        lived there. Fortunately, the downtown and University
        areas are not being destroyed -- it's the northern, NW
        and SW areas of the city and beyond that are being
        developed 100% for cars.

        The voters recently turned down a proposal to build
        light rail, so count on buses or cycling for a long
        time. The local media attacks Capital Metro (the city
        bus) on a regular basis, yet their service is better
        than DART buses in Dallas. I lived in Dallas for six
        months car-free (before the light rail opened), and I
        must say Austin is much better (although Dallas is far
        superior to Houston!)

        A new airport has been built on the former Bergstrom
        AFB, and there are some ideas floating around about
        what to do with the old airport, Robert Mueller
        municipal. Not a big airport, but like any airport,
        it uses some land, and it's very close to downtown.
        Obviously a car-free development would be ideal! :-)

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
          >I'm faced with moving to a new city and want to limit my list of
          >possible choices to places I can get around in without a car. I don't
          >drive at all. Currently I live in a city in the Southwestern part of
          >the U.S. that is compact enough for my needs. I can go to work, visit
          >friends, shop, go out to the movies and clubs without relying on a
          >driver to give me a ride. I want to be able to do the same in my new
          >hometown. I would prefer to avoid places where it snows. Does anyone
          >have any helpful suggestions? Thanks

          Havana ;-)

          ###

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          postmaster@... Carfree.com
        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
            Hi, NN, and welcome to the group.

            We're really good at helpful suggestions <Grin>, so you'll probably get
            lots of them. First, maybe you can give us a little more background.

            Is this a wide open question for you, except for the weather? That is,
            could you/would you move to *any* U.S. city that meets your accessibility
            requirements?

            -Doug

            At 02:45 PM 1/22/2001, NN wrote:
            >I'm faced with moving to a new city and want to limit my list of
            >possible choices to places I can get around in without a car. I don't
            >drive at all. Currently I live in a city in the Southwestern part of
            >the U.S. that is compact enough for my needs. I can go to work, visit
            >friends, shop, go out to the movies and clubs without relying on a
            >driver to give me a ride. I want to be able to do the same in my new
            >hometown. I would prefer to avoid places where it snows. Does anyone
            >have any helpful suggestions? Thanks
          • Will Stewart
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
              --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "N N" <natalienicola@h...> wrote:
              > I'm faced with moving to a new city and want to limit my list of
              > possible choices to places I can get around in without a car. I
              don't
              > drive at all. Currently I live in a city in the Southwestern part of
              > the U.S. that is compact enough for my needs. I can go to work,
              visit
              > friends, shop, go out to the movies and clubs without relying on a
              > driver to give me a ride. I want to be able to do the same in my new
              > hometown. I would prefer to avoid places where it snows. Does anyone
              > have any helpful suggestions? Thanks

              Santa Barbara has an excellent car-weaning approach, though prices are
              high and employment is thin.

              Will
            • T. J. Binkley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
                Will,

                You wrote:

                >Santa Barbara has an excellent car-weaning approach...

                Please elaborate.

                -T.J.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
                  Hi All,

                  I'm abandoning my computer until the middle of next
                  week, so I won't be reading, posting, or moderating
                  the Forum. I leave this task in the capable hands of
                  Doug Salzmann and T.J. Binkely.

                  Regards,

                  ###

                  J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                  postmaster@... Carfree.com
                • dcuthber@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2 8:44 AM
                    --- In carfree_cities@y..., "N N" <natalienicola@h...> wrote:
                    > I'm faced with moving to a new city and want to limit my list of
                    > possible choices to places I can get around in without a car. I
                    don't
                    > drive at all. Currently I live in a city in the Southwestern part
                    of
                    > the U.S. that is compact enough for my needs. I can go to work,
                    visit
                    > friends, shop, go out to the movies and clubs without relying on a
                    > driver to give me a ride. I want to be able to do the same in my
                    new
                    > hometown. I would prefer to avoid places where it snows. Does
                    anyone
                    > have any helpful suggestions? Thanks

                    I would have to say if you plan on looking at Middle south cities,
                    Dallas would be the place to go. Downtown Dallas is exploding with
                    multi-use residential buildings. There DT still has a major
                    department store it has the restaurant district plenty of museums,
                    theaters, deli's... that stay open past the normal 9-5. It's
                    immediate periphery (although) is experiencing a HUGE growth in
                    residential/commercial uses. Dallas is still very oriented toward
                    the car but it is starting to see alot of TOD on its DART rail, which
                    now connects with DFW airport and soon with downtown Fort Worth. The
                    Uptown area just north of Downtown is experiencing a New Urbanism
                    type trend and it is supported with a Trolly that connects to the
                    light rail downtown at the Art Mus. and within the year it will
                    complete a connection to the light rail at the north end. The job
                    scene in Dallas seems limitless. IMO, Dallas is light years ahead of
                    all the other Texas cities, including Austin, when it comes to Rapid
                    Transit and human mobility. And "no" the DART buses arent that great
                    but I've never been on any city's bus that was wonderful. If you
                    need any more info. on Dallas I'd be glad to help.