Re: [carfree_cities] The hard activist yards vs. the fantasy and vision

    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 10:31 AM
      Jym said:

      >=v= The best part of Paris is the very center, the old medieval
      >city, with its narrow, winding roads and cobblestones. Indeed,
      >your best bet in most French cities is just to head for the
      >old medieval center of town.

      I have to say that I have a strong personal preference for the
      medieval areas, too.

      When I was in Lyon a couple of years ago, I found that the
      district west of the rivers was the nicest part, with narrow,
      crooked streets and the oldest buildings. The peninsula between
      the rivers is 17th C (or so), and while it's nice, I don't find
      its gridiron layout as enticing as the earlier parts.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com