FW: [carfree_cities] L.A. bashing (was "The hard activist yards ..)

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2000
      Mark Watson has been having some technical problems lately. So I'm
      forwarding this on his behalf. Dawson

      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2000
        Mark Watson wrote:
        Ronald Dawson wrote:

        >>do you think it would be possible to connect the streetcar line
        >>to the tunnel and run them into it?

        >I'm not sure. I've only ridden on it a couple of times, prior to my
        >interest in transit. And those rides were only on the waterfront. But the
        >map shows that it ends near the tunnel.
        >http://transit.metrokc.gov/bus/route_maps/m099_0.html

        >Being new to all this, I'm lacking some knowledge & details. Could the
        >rails be different widths (gage?). Also, the metro buses use 2 overhead
        >wires, while the streetcar uses only one. Perhaps it could just use one of
        >the two. I also don't know what changes will be happening to the tunnel if
        >the "Link" light rail becomes reality.

        They could very be at different gauges, I guess you can always get out a
        tape measure and check, but be careful I wouldn't want you to get hit by a
        streetcar or a bus. Standard gauge is 4' 8.5".
        The trolley buses use two wires one positive, one negative. A streetcar
        would only need to be in contact with the positive wire, the rails would act
        as the negative.
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/sttc35.jpg (This photo was taken
        in Seattle when the streetcars and trolley buses ran together)
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/sf/htm/sf81.htm (This shows a trolley bus
        and a streetcar, but on separate circuits)
        LRV's (Light Rail Vehicles) usually collect electricity by means of a
        pantograph instead of a trolley pole.
        http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/es/people/teach/br/trams/howto/current.htm
        If pantographs are used one possible problem would be short circuits, but
        since trolley poles can swing, the wires for the buses could be strung out
        of reach of the LRV's pantographs.
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/sttc14.jpg

        >However, I'm fairly positive that the 4 or so sreetcars could not handle
        the
        >volume. A *lot* of people are served by the tunnel.

        Your right that four would not be enough, not to forget that they are also
        high platform. http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/swsc03.jpg
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/swsc02.jpg
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/swsc01.jpg
        In the bus tunnel the waiting areas are at a side walk level.

        >BTW, the electric lines for the trolly buses also run on some surface
        >streets. 55 "sreet miles" acording to Metro
        >Mark

        I like it how some of your buses have bike racks.
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/smtro01.jpg
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/smtro02.jpg
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/sttc06.jpg
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/wa/jpg/smtro03.jpg