Carfree Development List

  • Stickerguy Pete
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
      Thanks to all for contributing to this list. I'm excited
      about this project and will be putting it together for
      the next year or so. I'd like for it to be as complete
      as possible, with any details we can get about ratios
      of green space to paved space, photos, maps, data
      about public transport systems, the whole nine yards.

      To address some comments I've seen so far on the list:

      * Mike Lacey makes a great point that we should use care in what
      we call carfree development. I think I will separate the
      database into different levels of carfree-ness. Ie, historic
      core, neighborhood, street, etc. We can definitely have
      a paragraph describing the amount of car-dependence
      that still exists under a link from each listing. We can go
      into as much detail as we need. For now, I'm just throwing
      everything into a sloppy text file, but once I'm ready to
      really start working on this (mid-February), I'll develop
      a fancy-ish Filemaker database.

      * About Manhattan: is that 90% carfree statistic accurate?
      Is there a source I can reference?

      * About Mont St. Michel, France: can we get some details
      about just how carfree this town is?

      * Copenhagen: ... and don't forget Christiania!

      * Any links on the web about Bhaktapur?

      * When I went to Zermatt, I went by train. Same for Venice
      (although there are parking garages at the ntrance to the old city)

      Thanks everyone!
      - Pete

      --
      Sticker Guy! / 702 Records
      Po Box 204 Reno NV 89504

      PLEASE: Quote my message in your reply!
    • Mike Lacey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2001
        --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, Stickerguy Pete <pete@s...> wrote:
        > * About Manhattan: is that 90% carfree statistic accurate?
        > Is there a source I can reference?

        No its not. Sorry that was an (un)educated guess. According to this
        (undated) article, car ownership is 22% in Manhattan
        http://www.greenspiration.org/Article/BigGreenApple.html
      • Henning Mortensen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2001

          >* Copenhagen: ... and don't forget Christiania!

          Christiania, while noteworthy for a number of reasons is not what I would
          consider a car-free area. Being only a few blocks large it is hardly
          noteworthy next to the 20 or so blocks of Stroget, which is only about 1/2
          mile away.
        • Randall Hunt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
            >* About Mont St. Michel, France: can we get some details
            >about just how carfree this town is?

            I visited in 1980 as part of a 3-month architectural tour of Europe. Busses
            and cars are parked at the entrance to the "city". One proceeds on foot
            thru town.

            The following is plucked from Grolliers:

            "Mont-Saint-Michel is a 1-ha (3-acre) rocky islet topped by a famous Gothic
            abbey, 1.6 km (1 mi) off the northwest [Normandy] coast of France in the
            Bay of Mont-Saint-Michel in the English Channel. The island, located 5 km
            (3 mi) from the shore during the Middle Ages, is now surrounded by water
            only two times a month. Its one cobblestone street climbs in three spirals
            from a great granite base to the towering Benedictine abbey of
            Mont-Saint-Michel, an architectural masterpiece built in the 13th century,
            replacing the original abbey, which was founded in 708 by St. Aubert,
            bishop of Avranches, but destroyed by King Philip II of France in 1203.
            Its fortifications enabled the islet to withstand repeated English assaults
            during the Hundred Years' War. The abbey served as a prison during
            Napoleon's reign. Restored after 1863, and connected to the mainland by a
            causeway (completed 1875), the abbey is preserved as a national historical
            monument and is one of France's great tourist attractions."

            I couldn't find a population figure, tho I guess it to be a few hundred.
            There is a (doctored) photo of Mont St. Michel at
            http://www.wildapache.net/randhunt/reunion.htm I replaced the normally gray
            sky with cumulus clouds.

            Incidentally, I don't remember seeing autos inside the town gates of
            Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany, either. Rothenburg is one of the finest
            remaining examples of Medieval towns in Germany.

            BTW, there is a section of Venice, Italy which was developed (I understand)
            during WW2 to accommodate autos--tho no autos were present. There, in the
            northern section of town, the streets are closer to 30-40 feet wide instead
            of the 8-15 feet in most of the rest of the city. I was dumb struck at how
            lifeless and deserted that section seemed, compared to the rest of Venice.
            The difference is amazing.

            Randall Hunt

            "My objective is to articulate a means by which an arcological city
            for a resident population of 25-30,000 can be built in the world
            as it is today." http://www.wildapache.net/randhunt
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
              Henning Mortensen said:

              >>* Copenhagen: ... and don't forget Christiania!
              >>
              >Christiania, while noteworthy for a number of reasons is not what I would
              >consider a car-free area. Being only a few blocks large it is hardly
              >noteworthy next to the 20 or so blocks of Stroget, which is only about 1/2
              >mile away.

              I've been there, and I think it's just large enough to be worthy
              of inclusion. It is, after all, a self-contained community that's
              carfree and includes several streets.

              ###

              J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
              postmaster@... Carfree.com
            • Henning Mortensen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
                Re Christiania:
                >From: "J.H. Crawford" <postmaster@...>
                >
                >I've been there, and I think it's just large enough to be worthy
                >of inclusion. It is, after all, a self-contained community that's
                >carfree and includes several streets.

                Well, ok, whatever you think. Of course they have been threatening to close
                the whole place down for over 25 years now. Technically the residents are
                squatters on crown land. I guess we should include them if for no other
                reason then their contribution to work-bicycles and their early adoption of
                a car free life.

                Henning