Re: [carfree_cities] Re: No phone, no lights, no motor cars

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
      Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:

      > Yeah. I've heard of the Amish community. They're located in
      > New Hampshire (North-east US state). They ride horses, and generally
      > live like people did 100 years ago.

      There are Amish communities scattered throughout the states. Northcentral Indiana has a large contingent of Amish and Mennonites (Goshen, Shipshewana, Topeka, La Grange, Howe). So does Lancaster, PA.

      > Is Amish Paradise totally carfree?

      The Amish are carfree. For the most part they are internal combustion engine free. You see an occasional lawnmower but that's about it. They use horse drawn farm implements in the fields. They can accept a ride in a car, but I don't see many in cars. Mennonites are not quite as strict in regards to modern conveniences and they often have cars.

      > Are modern citizens living within Amish community required to be carfree?

      Unfortunately, no. I feel so bad when I see the white crosses along the road in Amish country where automobiles struck buggies and killed the occupants. And since the Amish live in rural areas, the modern citizens that are out there tend to be sprawlers living in new subdivisions and McMansions. They have big ol' honkin' SUVS and they drive FAST.

      If anyone on the list gets the chance, I highly recommend going on the Amish Land & Lakes bicycle tour held every fall in Howe, Indiana. It is organized by the Michiana Bicycle Club.

      On the Saturday leg of the tour, a lot of the Amish children sell cookies, donuts, ice cream, and lemonade by the roadside. I have found them to be very pleasant and polite young people. The Amish have large white farmhouses with vegetable gardens in the front yard borderd by beautiful flowers, like this http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/3057/amish04.jpg. It is very nice countryside to bicyle in.

      You see Amish on bicycles occasionally. I guess one of them is building and selling long wheelbase recumbents. I saw an Amish guy riding one across the road up ahead of me once but he disappeared before I got to talk to him.

      > May 2001 lead to more progress for our carfree and transit projects.
      > Louis-Luc

      Well at least we have a decent transportation secretary. Eveything else looks like it will go to hell for the next four years though.

      -Bob Matter
      Hammond, IN
      http://www.bikewinter.org
      Upcoming Chicago Bike Winter Events:
      01/06 - Winter Biking Class II
      01/10 - Bike Winter Planning Meeting
      01/17 - Bicycle Beat Night: Pedaling Poetry
      01/20 - Bike Winter Commuter Challenge Party
      01/20 - Bike Winter Rock N' Roll Benefit
      01/21 - The Urban Assault Race Series -- Second Sortie
      01/24 - Parking Enforcement Agent Appreciation Day
      01/26 - Baby Doll Polka Club Ride
      02/10 - Chicago Auto Show Ride/Shutdown
      02/10 - Critical Mass Art Show
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
        Robert J. Matter wrote:
        >> Is Amish Paradise totally carfree?

        >The Amish are carfree. For the most part they are internal combustion
        engine
        >free. You see an occasional lawnmower but that's about it.

        Push mowers would be cheaper, though they require a bit more labour.

        >They use horse drawn farm implements in the fields. They can accept a ride
        in >a car, but I don't see many in cars. Mennonites are not quite as strict
        in
        >regards to modern conveniences and they often have cars.

        With Mennonites it depends on which order. New Order Mennonites will some
        times drive cars, but Old Order Mennonites won't. Though I have seem them
        ride trains http://www.waterloostjacobrailway.com , plus I believe they can
        use pay phones?

        Also, this might seem weird, but in Elmira, Ontario there is actually a
        McDonald's with hitching posts.

        >You see Amish on bicycles occasionally. I guess one of them is building
        and
        >selling long wheelbase recumbents. I saw an Amish guy riding one across
        the
        >road up ahead of me once but he disappeared before I got to talk to him.

        I'm sorry that I can't say, that I have ever seen a Mennonite on a bicycle.
        Dawson
      • Robert J. Matter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
          Ronald Dawson wrote [edited]:

          > Push mowers would be cheaper, though they require a bit more labour.

          Generally when you see them using a gasoline lawnmower it is on the edges of ditches where there is a dense thicket.

          > plus I believe they can use pay phones?

          I guess so. I see an occasional pay phone booth on the roadside. They are plain white structures with peaked roofs that fit in with the surrounding farmhouses. About the size of an outhouse.

          > Also, this might seem weird, but in Elmira, Ontario there is actually a
          > McDonald's with hitching posts.

          Oh yeah, all the businesses have hitching posts in Amish country. The La Grange county courthouse has hitching posts in the rear. Here's a buggy in downtown La Grange http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/3057/amish03.jpg.

          -Bob Matter
          Hammond, IN
          "Why do people ride when the days are short, wet and cold?
          It's our civic duty. Politicians and planners need to see
          that cycling is a viable form of transportation EVERY DAY
          OF THE YEAR." -Gin Kilgore http://www.bikewinter.org
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
            Robert J. Matter wrote:
            >> Push mowers would be cheaper, though they require a bit more labour.

            >Generally when you see them using a gasoline lawnmower it is on the edges
            of
            >ditches where there is a dense thicket.

            O.K., but maybe a brush mower or a scythe would be better?

            >> plus I believe they can use pay phones?

            >I guess so. I see an occasional pay phone booth on the roadside. They are
            >plain white structures with peaked roofs that fit in with the surrounding
            >farmhouses. About the size of an outhouse.

            I'm surprised that they would be decorated.

            >> Also, this might seem weird, but in Elmira, Ontario there is actually a
            >> McDonald's with hitching posts.

            >Oh yeah, all the businesses have hitching posts in Amish country. The La
            >Grange county courthouse has hitching posts in the rear. Here's a buggy in
            >downtown La Grange
            http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/3057/amish03.jpg.

            I like the photo, it's also interesting seeing all that brick work
            underneath the asphalt. Dawson