Re: [carfree_cities] Tragic News

  • Mark Watson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
      Yes. This is sad. And I know that this is an argument for grade
      separation...

      BUT, "drove her Kia around a flashing railroad sign and into the (trains')
      path" !!

      This is news for the "Darwin awards". Not news that pro-transit folks
      should be spreading.

      Anti-rail folks use these incidents as reasoning for not having rail,
      ignoring the obvious fact that if the driver (or ped) had followed the
      clear warning of the lights & barriers, & the law, there would be no crash.
      It is somehow the trains' fault that the person broke the law & endangered
      themselves & others. The result would be the same if they tried to cross a
      freeway!

      And speaking of freeways, these news bits never mention the hundreds killed
      every day on the roads. This is just ridiculous!

      Sorry to rant. Dawson, I do enjoy your posts, you just hit a nerve with
      this one.

      Mark

      I have a piece of sad news out of San Diego. Dawson

      Light Rail News
      http://www.lightrail.com/news/news01-01-02-3.htm

    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
        Mark Watson wrote:
        >Yes. This is sad. And I know that this is an argument for grade
        >separation...

        Or at least for quad gates, like that are used in Europe.

        >BUT, "drove her Kia around a flashing railroad sign and into the (trains')
        >path" !!
        >This is news for the "Darwin awards". Not news that pro-transit folks
        >should be spreading.

        Yeah, but she is one of the few "Darwin award" candidates that survives
        their nomination. The really sad thing was that she brought children along
        for it.

        >Anti-rail folks use these incidents as reasoning for not having rail,
        >ignoring the obvious fact that if the driver (or ped) had followed the
        >clear warning of the lights & barriers, & the law, there would be no crash.

        Common sense ain't that common.

        >It is somehow the trains' fault that the person broke the law & endangered
        >themselves & others. The result would be the same if they tried to cross a
        >freeway!

        It's kind of like people that tried to cross the Berlin wall (when it was
        active), but with the Berlin wall people were dodging bullets instead of
        cars.

        >And speaking of freeways, these news bits never mention the hundreds killed
        >every day on the roads. This is just ridiculous!

        Speaking of freeways, take a look at what is happening in Texas. (The funny
        thing about this is that it reminds me of the Hwy.417 through Ottawa.)

        RailAmerica To Receive New 13.5-Mile Rail Line Will Complete $33 Million
        Texas Rail Relocation Project
        Will Complete $33 Million Texas Rail Relocation Project

        BOCA RATON, Fla., Dec. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- RailAmerica, Inc. (Nasdaq: RAIL),
        the world's largest short line and regional railroad operator, today
        announced that, as part of the June 2000 rail corridor sale by its West
        Texas & Lubbock Railroad (WTLR) to the State of Texas and City of Lubbock,
        it will be receiving a newly built 13.5-mile rail line, including land,
        track and related assets. The State of Texas and City of Lubbock have
        committed to construct the new rail line at a cost of approximately $24
        million and convey it to WTLR upon completion in late 2001.

        As previously announced in June of this year, WTLR sold a 6.5-mile rail
        corridor to the State of Texas and City of Lubbock for approximately $9.3
        million cash. This 6.5-mile rail corridor, located in Lubbock, Texas, will
        be used by the State of Texas in the construction of the new East-West
        freeway that will connect downtown Lubbock and Texas Tech University to the
        outer beltway. As a part of the transaction, WTLR retained the right to use
        the existing rail line on this corridor for railroad operating purposes
        until the new line is opened.

        "The conveyance of this new rail line will complete the Lubbock track sale
        and relocation project, which included cash proceeds to RailAmerica and
        expenditures by the State and City totaling approximately $33 million," said
        Gary O. Marino, Chairman, President & CEO of RailAmerica. "We anticipate
        that WTLR will become a more efficient and profitable railroad as this new
        rail corridor has the potential to reach a greater number of rail shippers
        in the region. This transaction also demonstrates how cooperation between
        the public and private sectors works to enhance the entire community.
        Including the value of this transaction, RailAmerica's non-core asset
        rationalization program has generated approximately $100 million in sales
        and transactions this year."

        SOURCE RailAmerica, Inc.

        CONTACT: Wayne A. August, Assistant Vice President Investor Relations,
        RailAmerica, Inc., 561-994-6015

        Web site: http://www.railamerica.com (RAIL)

        >Sorry to rant. Dawson, I do enjoy your posts, you just hit a nerve with
        >this one.

        Thank you, I hope to stimulate more discussions in the 21st century. Dawson