Tragic News

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
      I have a piece of sad news out of San Diego. Dawson

      Light Rail News
      http://www.lightrail.com/news/news01-01-02-3.htm

      Boy, 5, on life support after trolley hits car
      By Leonel Sanchez and Amy Oakes
      San Diego Union-Tribune
      January 2, 2001

      A 5-year-old boy and his mother, were seriously injured yesterday. The boy
      was on life support at Children's Hospital, a nursing supervisor said.

      The 5-year-old boy suffered serious head injuries in La Mesa after his
      24-year-old mother drove her Kia around a flashing railroad sign and into
      the path of a San Diego trolley about 2:30 p.m. Monday, La Mesa police said.
      It took an hour to pull them from the wreckage.

      The woman, identified by police at Rachael Roberson, was hospitalized with
      fractures to her pelvis, ankle and tailbone and other injuries. Police said
      she will face criminal charges.

      The accident occurred at the intersection of High and Grove streets. Police
      said the trolley driver sounded the horn and put on the brakes before
      striking the car on the driver's side. The car was pushed more than 100
      yards before the trolley was able to stop.

      The unidentified woman's 13-month-old daughter was in the car but was not
      hurt.
    • Mark Watson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
        Yes. This is sad. And I know that this is an argument for grade
        separation...

        BUT, "drove her Kia around a flashing railroad sign and into the (trains')
        path" !!

        This is news for the "Darwin awards". Not news that pro-transit folks
        should be spreading.

        Anti-rail folks use these incidents as reasoning for not having rail,
        ignoring the obvious fact that if the driver (or ped) had followed the
        clear warning of the lights & barriers, & the law, there would be no crash.
        It is somehow the trains' fault that the person broke the law & endangered
        themselves & others. The result would be the same if they tried to cross a
        freeway!

        And speaking of freeways, these news bits never mention the hundreds killed
        every day on the roads. This is just ridiculous!

        Sorry to rant. Dawson, I do enjoy your posts, you just hit a nerve with
        this one.

        Mark

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
          Mark Watson wrote:
          >Yes. This is sad. And I know that this is an argument for grade
          >separation...

          Or at least for quad gates, like that are used in Europe.

          >BUT, "drove her Kia around a flashing railroad sign and into the (trains')
          >path" !!
          >This is news for the "Darwin awards". Not news that pro-transit folks
          >should be spreading.

          Yeah, but she is one of the few "Darwin award" candidates that survives
          their nomination. The really sad thing was that she brought children along
          for it.

          >Anti-rail folks use these incidents as reasoning for not having rail,
          >ignoring the obvious fact that if the driver (or ped) had followed the
          >clear warning of the lights & barriers, & the law, there would be no crash.

          Common sense ain't that common.

          >It is somehow the trains' fault that the person broke the law & endangered
          >themselves & others. The result would be the same if they tried to cross a
          >freeway!

          It's kind of like people that tried to cross the Berlin wall (when it was
          active), but with the Berlin wall people were dodging bullets instead of
          cars.

          >And speaking of freeways, these news bits never mention the hundreds killed
          >every day on the roads. This is just ridiculous!

          Speaking of freeways, take a look at what is happening in Texas. (The funny
          thing about this is that it reminds me of the Hwy.417 through Ottawa.)

          RailAmerica To Receive New 13.5-Mile Rail Line Will Complete $33 Million
          Texas Rail Relocation Project
          Will Complete $33 Million Texas Rail Relocation Project

          BOCA RATON, Fla., Dec. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- RailAmerica, Inc. (Nasdaq: RAIL),
          the world's largest short line and regional railroad operator, today
          announced that, as part of the June 2000 rail corridor sale by its West
          Texas & Lubbock Railroad (WTLR) to the State of Texas and City of Lubbock,
          it will be receiving a newly built 13.5-mile rail line, including land,
          track and related assets. The State of Texas and City of Lubbock have
          committed to construct the new rail line at a cost of approximately $24
          million and convey it to WTLR upon completion in late 2001.

          As previously announced in June of this year, WTLR sold a 6.5-mile rail
          corridor to the State of Texas and City of Lubbock for approximately $9.3
          million cash. This 6.5-mile rail corridor, located in Lubbock, Texas, will
          be used by the State of Texas in the construction of the new East-West
          freeway that will connect downtown Lubbock and Texas Tech University to the
          outer beltway. As a part of the transaction, WTLR retained the right to use
          the existing rail line on this corridor for railroad operating purposes
          until the new line is opened.

          "The conveyance of this new rail line will complete the Lubbock track sale
          and relocation project, which included cash proceeds to RailAmerica and
          expenditures by the State and City totaling approximately $33 million," said
          Gary O. Marino, Chairman, President & CEO of RailAmerica. "We anticipate
          that WTLR will become a more efficient and profitable railroad as this new
          rail corridor has the potential to reach a greater number of rail shippers
          in the region. This transaction also demonstrates how cooperation between
          the public and private sectors works to enhance the entire community.
          Including the value of this transaction, RailAmerica's non-core asset
          rationalization program has generated approximately $100 million in sales
          and transactions this year."

          SOURCE RailAmerica, Inc.

          CONTACT: Wayne A. August, Assistant Vice President Investor Relations,
          RailAmerica, Inc., 561-994-6015

          Web site: http://www.railamerica.com (RAIL)

          >Sorry to rant. Dawson, I do enjoy your posts, you just hit a nerve with
          >this one.

          Thank you, I hope to stimulate more discussions in the 21st century. Dawson