Re: [carfree_cities] Worldwide Carfree Development List

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
      Excellent Job all, lets keep this going...

      Say, how about adding some photographs of these areas to show people what
      each is like. And to give us an idea of size how about a guestimate of just
      how large the area is. How about we measure in km's of street with a side
      note of extra courtyard area.

      And we should likely add a comment about just how car free the area is. For
      example stroget, in Copenhagen has about 10km (I may well be wrong here) of
      street, about 200 meters squared of courtyards, and allows work vehicles and
      delivery vans in but these must yeild to all pedestrians and thus crawl
      through at less then walking pace. I should also add that the frequency of
      car travel is likely less then 1/hour during times where people are around.

      Not these figures are just drawn from my impressions. A bit more research
      would give better results.