introduction

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2000
      Kerri:

      Thanks for your letter of introduction. A 'conversation' such as this
      seems much more interesting when we all know a little bit about one
      another. This is my first attempt at participating in a forum like
      this, so here goes:

      I grew up in a shiny new midwestern suburb in the 70's and early 80's.
      I bought my first car at age 14, with money made from pumping gas at my
      father's service station. As a teenager I would drive a block and a
      half to the high school around the corner, so that my identity, and the
      only sociably acceptable place to eat lunch, would be waiting for me in
      the parking lot at noon. My family of five always had at least five
      cars at home, plus a couple of trucks down at Dad's station. I was
      surrounded by automobility all my life. Then I moved to Los Angeles
      (actually Ventura, there's a small difference).

      I've since had the opportunity to spend some time wandering around (on
      foot) in a few more civilized places, like Manhattan, Chicago, Denver,
      Philadelphia, London, and especially San Francisco, Paris, Nice and a
      couple of beautiful old cities in Poland. I've been (somewhat
      obsessively) studying architecture and urban design in my spare time for
      about ten years. I'm even occasionally getting paid to conceptual
      design for human-scaled buildings and building-makeovers.

      I've been biking or walking to work for about seven years now, and I
      don't own a car. I'm fascinated by the idea of building and living in a
      carfree city. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this group
      and look forward to sharing in the weath of information exchanged here.