Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Worldwide Carfree Development List

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
      Don't forget Stroget, in the historic center of Copenhagen, Denmark

    • Henning Mortensen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
        Excellent Job all, lets keep this going...

        Say, how about adding some photographs of these areas to show people what
        each is like. And to give us an idea of size how about a guestimate of just
        how large the area is. How about we measure in km's of street with a side
        note of extra courtyard area.

        And we should likely add a comment about just how car free the area is. For
        example stroget, in Copenhagen has about 10km (I may well be wrong here) of
        street, about 200 meters squared of courtyards, and allows work vehicles and
        delivery vans in but these must yeild to all pedestrians and thus crawl
        through at less then walking pace. I should also add that the frequency of
        car travel is likely less then 1/hour during times where people are around.

        Not these figures are just drawn from my impressions. A bit more research
        would give better results.