New Issue of New Colonist

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2 6:26 AM
      January's issue of The New Colonist is online now, with Boston as its
      featured city and two articles by Jane Holtz Kay, the author of "Asphalt
      Nation" and herself a resident of Boston.

      Also included are articles on the treasures in trash, the history of the
      Ben Avon streetcar suburb, and famed new York City nightclub, Max's
      Kansas City, as well as the usual regular features and editorials.

      See what's new at http://www.newcolonist.com!

      Richard
      rickrise@...
      Living Room Urban Ecology webzine: http://www.living-room.org
      "There is more to life than increasing its speed." (Gandhi)
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31 10:13 PM
        The February issue of The New Colonist is now online at
        http://www.newcolonist.com This month's Featured City is Zagreb,
        Croatia, with articles exploring a hundred years of city planning amid
        the turmoil of war and revolution there.

        Also featured are articles by Jane Holtz Kay, Fancis Raven, Ann Barrett,
        and a bright young writer from San Francisco named Zoe Abrahms, as well
        as editorials by Eric Miller and Richard Risemberg, plus Citysongs,
        surveys, city guide pages, and the Roadkill Bill cartoon!

        Visit The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

        Thank you,

        Richard
        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
        M. K. Gandhi
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
          It's here! Go to http://www.newcolonist.com and peruse our November
          issue. We are featuring Urban Rivers this month, as well as general
          interest stories, Street Food, the Roadkill Bill cartoon, and
          editorials.

          River stories cover Los Angeles, Chicago, Winnipeg, Portland, and cities
          in Wisconsin and Kansas; we also present Ryan Caviglia's tale of
          development gone wrong in Kansas City, as well as Sally Chung's review
          of a new farmer's market in Silverlake.

          November's editorials explore the value of place and the pleasures of
          city living.

          The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."
          M. K. Gandhi

          deserve neither liberty nor safety."
          Benjamin Franklin
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2001
            The December issue of The New Colonist is online now at
            http://www.newcolonist.com This month we explore Downtown Shopping,
            since many of you will be shopping for holiday gifts in the next few
            weeks; we will also present our usual slew of articles on a variety of
            topics, including Arianna Huffington's latest piece on SUVs and the flag
            frenzy, plus Street Food, Citysongs, Roadkill Bill, our editorials, and
            other regular features.

            Something please you excessively, or get you hot under the collar? We
            now have a bulletin board as well as our regular email forum; go to our
            Feedback section to join either one, or to read selected letters to the
            editor. All at The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.living-room.org
            http://www.newcolonist.com

            "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
            just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
            to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

            Lu Hsun
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
              Happy New Year to all, and wishes for a peaceful and prosperous time for
              all peoples in all places in this complicated world during the coming
              year....

              The New Colonist offers you our first issue of the year, now online and
              available at http://www.newcolonist.com This month's theme is Food in
              the City, so pull up a chair and dig in to articles on eating in LA,
              Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and other cities, as well as stories on New
              Urbanist developments in Louisville, programs to create sustainable
              environmentally-clean businesses that also eliminate welfare, and the
              hassles in of living behind walls that are just too thin for privacy,
              plus our usual Citysongs and Editorials. All online today at

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 30, 2002
                The May issue of theh New Colonist is online and available at
                http://www.newcolonist.com This month we feature "Seers & Shapers,"
                people past and present whose efforts continue to nurture our cities and
                help them become the places that best can nurture our humanity. We
                include an interview with Jane Jacobs and stories about George Pullman,
                Jane Addams, J. H. Crawford, and Chicago neighborhood activist Enrique
                Salgado, as well as most of our usual features and editorials. All at

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2002
                  The New Colonist presents its November 2002 issue, online today at
                  http://www.newcolonist.com This month we are presenting The Best of
                  The New Colonist, a selection of our favorite articles, essays, and
                  features from the last two years. Click on over and see what you've
                  missed if you just got to know us, or, if you're one of our "charter
                  readers," see whether you agree with our selections. And don't forget
                  our editorials, new for this month, with links to the editors' favorites
                  listed beneath each excerpt. All on The New Colonist, at

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                    Hello All--

                    The August issue of The New Colonist is now online at
                    http://www.newcolonist.com This month's feature articles cover:

                    *The Spamming of Boston, by Jane Holtz Kay
                    *Light Rail and Omaha, by Eric C. Miller and Gerald Kopiasz

                    We also present our usual editorials and features, including:

                    *We Must Keep Going, Richard Risemberg's musings on the driving,
                    solitude, tragedy, and age
                    *Yesterday and Tomorrow, Eric Miller's tale of two cities
                    *Spitak, the wonderful LA bakery with the awful name

                    For subscribers, there are now nearly 500 articles, editorials, essays,
                    and reviews in our archives...and for non-members, subscriptions are on
                    sale now: join up for only $2.99 for three months! Just click on the
                    orange "Subscribe" link on the left side of the homepage.

                    The New Colonist...we're about life in the city!

                    http://www.living-room.org
                    http://www.newcolonist.com

                    "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
                    an obligation; every possession, a duty."
                    John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 29, 2003
                      Hello All--

                      The November issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                      http://www.newcolonist.com (We are publishing a day early this time to
                      accommodate staff vacations.)

                      Among our offerings this month are:

                      *The Property Rights Hypocrisy,by Keith Schneider
                      *If We Change It, They Will Come, by Eric Miller
                      *Brozers: Burgers in Tokyo, by Mike L. Wong

                      Plus our editorials:

                      *Space Adventure, by Richard Risemberg
                      *Pittsburgh Pilgrimage, by Eric Miller

                      And of course there is our archive of over 500 articles, essays,
                      reviews, and more, much of it illustrated with fine photography, and all
                      of it dedicated to urban living, community, sustainability, and a good
                      life for all.

                      So click on over to http://www.newcolonist.com and magnify your world!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
                        Well, another month has come, and so here's the latest issue of the New
                        Colonist, online now at http://www.newcolonist.com For December we
                        feature the following articles, editorials, and reviews:

                        *Lighting Up Pittsburgh
                        Discover a new holiday tradition in a reinvented city

                        *Striking It Rich in St. Louis Groceries
                        A grocery strike sends the author on a voyage of discovery

                        *A Tale of Two Spaces
                        Richard Risemberg explores two modern-day souks in Los Angeles

                        *Residents
                        Eric Miller covers the forgotten value in the downtown equation

                        *Book Review: The Voluntary City

                        *Street Food: Dim Sum on Lake Erie

                        Plus our huge sustainability and urban lifestyle archive, our City
                        Pages, and our Corner Store, all at http://www.newcolonist.com for one
                        and all to enjoy.

                        Thnak you,

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 31, 2003
                          Welcome to 2004 and another new issue of the New Colonist! Go to
                          http://www.newcolonist.com to read our latest articles, including:

                          *What Are They Afraid Of?, Keith Schneider's analysis of conservative
                          opposition to the growth of Smart Growth

                          *Pedestrian Streets, a photo essay exploring the phenomenon in Japan,
                          Argentina, and Los Angeles

                          *A Wish for Your City, where New Colonist readers tell the world what
                          they'd like to see happen in their towns in 2004

                          And your editors' personal wish lists for Pittsburgh and Los Angeles,
                          along with over 500 articles, essays, and reviews in our archives, all
                          at http://www.newcolonist.com, and always free.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 29, 2004
                            The March issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                            http://www.newcolonist.com

                            This month's features:

                            *Sixty Days, Next Year
                            C. Haynes presents the diary of an ordinary American in the
                            extraordinary days after the fall of the House of Saud and the collapse
                            of the world oil market....

                            *Home Sick
                            Richard Risemberg turns sick days into an opportunity to reflect on the
                            differences between the inner suburb where he grew up and the vibrant
                            city neighborhood, only three miles away, where he lives now.

                            *"This Old House" and Neighborhood Rejuvenation
                            Eric Miller exposes the hidden bargains of America's oldest
                            neighborhoods, which present a chance to buy into both the real estate
                            market and the future of humanity on the cheap.

                            *Concierge
                            Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                            weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                            calculator, with more on the way!

                            *Vox Civitatis
                            Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                            assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                            state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                            And of course a wealth of
                            reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our more than
                            500-article Archive!

                            All on The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 1, 2004
                              The May issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                              http://www.newcolonist.com!

                              This month's features:

                              * Waste Treatment Gets a New Look in Japan
                              Mike Wong visits the garbage dump for a very pleasant outing....
                              * Iraq, Spring 2004
                              Richard Risemberg responds to Nicholas Kristof's call for oil war
                              poetry....
                              * Cities and the Seeds of Change
                              Eric Miller explores the role of today's cities as nurseries of
                              social change....
                              * Concierge
                              Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                              weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                              calculator, with more on the way!
                              * Vox Civitatis
                              Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                              assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                              state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                              And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
                              in our more than 500-article Archive!
                              http://www.living-room.org
                              http://www.newcolonist.com

                              "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                              will not even be human."

                              RR
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 31 10:57 PM
                                The February issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                                http://www.newcolonist.com!

                                This month's features:

                                • Twin Cities Turnaround
                                Karen Sandness finds her hometown's finally growing up....
                                • Our Own Day Here
                                What is culture really worth? What does it mean?...
                                • Saving the City
                                One house at a time....
                                • Concierge
                                Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
                                forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                                  The July issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at http://www.newcolonist.com!
                                  This month's features:

                                  Tales from a Chicago Coffeehouse
                                  Stories from a paradigmatic urban place....

                                  Sense & Subsidy
                                  Hypocrisy and community battle it out on the streets....

                                  How Did This House Get Like This?
                                  Abandonment and revival in Pittsburgh....

                                  Concierge
                                  Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!

                                  Vox Civitatis
                                  Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                                  And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our comprehensive Archive!