No phone, no lights, no motor cars

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
      http://metromix.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Television-0!ArticleDetail-10040,00.html

      No phone, no lights, no
      motor cars

      "Frontier House," a reality show scheduled to
      go into production next spring needs three
      families to go back in time and live like Wild
      West settlers did in the 1880s, on a 160-acre
      farm in Montana.

      Participants have little more than cows,
      chickens and pigs, a crop of vegetables and
      each other for five to six months.

      Camera crews will visit three times a week
      and monitor the progress of the families for
      the series.

      Applications are available online and will be
      accepted until Jan. 15.

      Last summer, PBS aired "1900 House," a
      show that offered a single family the
      experience of living in a Victorian-age British
      home without modern plumbing, electricity or
      even conveniences like shampoo. Nearly 400
      families applied.
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
        Robert J. Matter wrote:
        >No phone, no lights, no motor cars

        That sounds more like "Amish Paradise" to me. Dawson
      • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "Ronald Dawson" <rdadddmd@t...>
          wrote:
          > Robert J. Matter wrote:
          > >No phone, no lights, no motor cars
          >
          > That sounds more like "Amish Paradise" to me. Dawson
          Yeah. I've heard of the Amish community. They're located in
          New Hampshire (North-east US state). They ride horses, and generally
          live like people did 100 years ago.

          Is Amish Paradise totally carfree? Are modern citizens living within
          Amish community required to be carfree?

          May 2001 lead to more progress for our carfree and transit projects.
          Louis-Luc
        • Robert J. Matter
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:

            > Yeah. I've heard of the Amish community. They're located in
            > New Hampshire (North-east US state). They ride horses, and generally
            > live like people did 100 years ago.

            There are Amish communities scattered throughout the states. Northcentral Indiana has a large contingent of Amish and Mennonites (Goshen, Shipshewana, Topeka, La Grange, Howe). So does Lancaster, PA.

            > Is Amish Paradise totally carfree?

            The Amish are carfree. For the most part they are internal combustion engine free. You see an occasional lawnmower but that's about it. They use horse drawn farm implements in the fields. They can accept a ride in a car, but I don't see many in cars. Mennonites are not quite as strict in regards to modern conveniences and they often have cars.

            > Are modern citizens living within Amish community required to be carfree?

            Unfortunately, no. I feel so bad when I see the white crosses along the road in Amish country where automobiles struck buggies and killed the occupants. And since the Amish live in rural areas, the modern citizens that are out there tend to be sprawlers living in new subdivisions and McMansions. They have big ol' honkin' SUVS and they drive FAST.

            If anyone on the list gets the chance, I highly recommend going on the Amish Land & Lakes bicycle tour held every fall in Howe, Indiana. It is organized by the Michiana Bicycle Club.

            On the Saturday leg of the tour, a lot of the Amish children sell cookies, donuts, ice cream, and lemonade by the roadside. I have found them to be very pleasant and polite young people. The Amish have large white farmhouses with vegetable gardens in the front yard borderd by beautiful flowers, like this http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/3057/amish04.jpg. It is very nice countryside to bicyle in.

            You see Amish on bicycles occasionally. I guess one of them is building and selling long wheelbase recumbents. I saw an Amish guy riding one across the road up ahead of me once but he disappeared before I got to talk to him.

            > May 2001 lead to more progress for our carfree and transit projects.
            > Louis-Luc

            Well at least we have a decent transportation secretary. Eveything else looks like it will go to hell for the next four years though.

            -Bob Matter
            Hammond, IN
            http://www.bikewinter.org
            Upcoming Chicago Bike Winter Events:
            01/06 - Winter Biking Class II
            01/10 - Bike Winter Planning Meeting
            01/17 - Bicycle Beat Night: Pedaling Poetry
            01/20 - Bike Winter Commuter Challenge Party
            01/20 - Bike Winter Rock N' Roll Benefit
            01/21 - The Urban Assault Race Series -- Second Sortie
            01/24 - Parking Enforcement Agent Appreciation Day
            01/26 - Baby Doll Polka Club Ride
            02/10 - Chicago Auto Show Ride/Shutdown
            02/10 - Critical Mass Art Show
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              Robert J. Matter wrote:
              >> Is Amish Paradise totally carfree?

              >The Amish are carfree. For the most part they are internal combustion
              engine
              >free. You see an occasional lawnmower but that's about it.

              Push mowers would be cheaper, though they require a bit more labour.

              >They use horse drawn farm implements in the fields. They can accept a ride
              in >a car, but I don't see many in cars. Mennonites are not quite as strict
              in
              >regards to modern conveniences and they often have cars.

              With Mennonites it depends on which order. New Order Mennonites will some
              times drive cars, but Old Order Mennonites won't. Though I have seem them
              ride trains http://www.waterloostjacobrailway.com , plus I believe they can
              use pay phones?

              Also, this might seem weird, but in Elmira, Ontario there is actually a
              McDonald's with hitching posts.

              >You see Amish on bicycles occasionally. I guess one of them is building
              and
              >selling long wheelbase recumbents. I saw an Amish guy riding one across
              the
              >road up ahead of me once but he disappeared before I got to talk to him.

              I'm sorry that I can't say, that I have ever seen a Mennonite on a bicycle.
              Dawson
            • Robert J. Matter
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
                Ronald Dawson wrote [edited]:

                > Push mowers would be cheaper, though they require a bit more labour.

                Generally when you see them using a gasoline lawnmower it is on the edges of ditches where there is a dense thicket.

                > plus I believe they can use pay phones?

                I guess so. I see an occasional pay phone booth on the roadside. They are plain white structures with peaked roofs that fit in with the surrounding farmhouses. About the size of an outhouse.

                > Also, this might seem weird, but in Elmira, Ontario there is actually a
                > McDonald's with hitching posts.

                Oh yeah, all the businesses have hitching posts in Amish country. The La Grange county courthouse has hitching posts in the rear. Here's a buggy in downtown La Grange http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/3057/amish03.jpg.

                -Bob Matter
                Hammond, IN
                "Why do people ride when the days are short, wet and cold?
                It's our civic duty. Politicians and planners need to see
                that cycling is a viable form of transportation EVERY DAY
                OF THE YEAR." -Gin Kilgore http://www.bikewinter.org
              • Ronald Dawson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
                  Robert J. Matter wrote:
                  >> Push mowers would be cheaper, though they require a bit more labour.

                  >Generally when you see them using a gasoline lawnmower it is on the edges
                  of
                  >ditches where there is a dense thicket.

                  O.K., but maybe a brush mower or a scythe would be better?

                  >> plus I believe they can use pay phones?

                  >I guess so. I see an occasional pay phone booth on the roadside. They are
                  >plain white structures with peaked roofs that fit in with the surrounding
                  >farmhouses. About the size of an outhouse.

                  I'm surprised that they would be decorated.

                  >> Also, this might seem weird, but in Elmira, Ontario there is actually a
                  >> McDonald's with hitching posts.

                  >Oh yeah, all the businesses have hitching posts in Amish country. The La
                  >Grange county courthouse has hitching posts in the rear. Here's a buggy in
                  >downtown La Grange
                  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/3057/amish03.jpg.

                  I like the photo, it's also interesting seeing all that brick work
                  underneath the asphalt. Dawson