RE: [carfree_cities] Hands across the pacific...

  • Luco
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2000
      About winter, I don't envy car drivers at all, not even
      more than during summer. That's true that biking is
      more troublesome, but yes it can be replaced by X-country
      skis, especially if we get rid of cars and if we
      leave the snow on a portion of the street for skiing.
      Snow removal is another issue, but we could imagine
      keeping the small caterpillar sidewalk snow plowers to
      remove snow on the portion of the street reserved for
      walking and winter biking, leaving the snow drift heap
      next to the ski lanes. Therefore there is more space
      to keep the snow and it doesn't have to be carried by
      trucks. AND the snow is WHITE, not brown or dirty gray.

      For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
      cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
      gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
      Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
      Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
      before cars arrived.

      This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
      arriving on time co-worker arrived
      1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
      I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
      man between my balcony and the street, no real need
      for a large snow blower when there's no car.

      Louis-Luc

    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2000
        Luco wrote:
        >For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
        >cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
        >gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
        >Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
        >Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
        >before cars arrived.

        We also have to give credit to the Native Americans.

        >This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
        >arriving on time co-worker arrived
        >1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
        >I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
        >man between my balcony and the street, no real need
        >for a large snow blower when there's no car.
        >Louis-Luc

        It's interesting what can be brought about by a snow storm.
        Dawson
      • Wade Eide
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2000
          At 18:13 02-05-00 -0400, you wrote:
          >Henning Mortensen wrote:
          > >Actually I live in Canada, worse... out on the frigid prairie. I have to
          > >weigh all these proposals against -40C weather. Makes that 5 minute walk a
          > >little more daunting. One nice thing about the internal combustion engine
          >is
          > >that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!
          >
          >Your Canadian as well? That makes three of us, Louis-Luc, my self and you.
          >Which of the three prairie provinces do you live in? Here is Montreal
          >winters can get damn cold just like out west. Riding a bike when it's -30C
          >through snow drifts ain't easy, walking can be hard if the side walks
          >haven't been ploughed. Bike path's can be good for cross country skiing. The
          >heat issue is important for people in our climate.
          >
          >(...)
          >
          >Maybe some one on the list with Scandinavian connections might have other
          >suggestions? Dawson

          Well, my grandparents were from Norway, so I guess that counts as a
          Scandinavian connection. And I live in Montreal. (Guess that makes at least
          3 of us on this list!)

          Five or six years ago, I kinda decided to push my biking season as far as I
          could. I ended up riding through the whole winter, only wimping out a
          couple of times. Two winters ago, I discovered the miracle of studded
          tires. Now I never miss a day of cycling because of the weather.

          What made me think that winter cycling must be possible was watching the
          intrepid bike couriers who brave just about any kind of weather. So I
          figured that if those twenty-something kids can do, by golly, so can I! I
          discovered that not only could I, but I also realised how easy it is. The
          cold is not a factor except for its effects on the bike itself. Dressing is
          similar to cross-country skiing. So far, I haven't reached my coldest
          limit; it doesn't often go below -30C here, but my limit is well below
          that. I've actually found it to be the greatest way to keep warm in
          winter-I usually have to open my jacket by the time I get to work in order
          to dissipate the heat I generate. I've also found that biking makes the
          winter so much more fun. By late fall, I'm almost yearning for that first
          snowfall. Almost.

          Every winter, there are more and more of us icebikers out on the streets of
          Montreal. And I've seen them in Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as well.
          Winter cycling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me!

          For anyone interested in winter cycling, here is the "official" icebikers'
          web page:
          http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/

          Wade Eide
          Montreal
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2000
            Wade Eide wrote:
            >Well, my grandparents were from Norway, so I guess that counts as a
            >Scandinavian connection. And I live in Montreal. (Guess that makes at least
            >3 of us on this list!)

            Make that four Canadians, three Montrealers!

            >Every winter, there are more and more of us icebikers out on the streets of
            >Montreal. And I've seen them in Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as well.
            >Winter cycling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me!

            That's nice to see. Dawson