Worldwide Carfree Development List

  • Stickerguy Pete
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 28, 2000
      Hey everyone, I'm making a list. Has this been done already?
      Please e-mail me any carfree developments you know of!

      thanks,
      PETE

      Here's what I know, off the top of my head:

      * Carfree development list
      This will be a list of carfree developments around the world.
      The entire city need not be carfree to qualify for this list --
      but please add notes if necessary (ie: name of district, neighborhood).
      If you know of any *planned* carfree developments, let's include
      those as well (but please make the appropriate note beside it).

      EUROPE:
      - Venice, Italy
      - Zermatt, Switzerland
      - Winterthur, Switzerland (historic center)
      - Feldkirch, Austria (historic center)
      - Lindau, Germany (historic center)
      - Greek Islands (?)

      ASIA:
      - Gulangya Island (Xiamen, China)
      - Cheung Chau Island (and others off of Hong Kong)

      AMERICAS:
      AFRICA:
      OCEANIA:

      --
      Sticker Guy! / 702 Records
      Po Box 204 Reno NV 89504

      PLEASE: Quote my message in your reply!
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 28, 2000
        Don't forget Groningen, in Holland, then center of which is carfree.
        Report at http://www.living-room.org/sustain/groningen.htm.

        Richard

        Stickerguy Pete wrote:

        > Hey everyone, I'm making a list. Has this been done already?
        > Please e-mail me any carfree developments you know of!
        >
        > thanks,
        > PETE
        >
        > Here's what I know, off the top of my head:
        >
        > * Carfree development list
        > This will be a list of carfree developments around the world.
        > The entire city need not be carfree to qualify for this list --
        > but please add notes if necessary (ie: name of district, neighborhood).
        > If you know of any *planned* carfree developments, let's include
        > those as well (but please make the appropriate note beside it).
        >
        > EUROPE:
        > - Venice, Italy
        > - Zermatt, Switzerland
        > - Winterthur, Switzerland (historic center)
        > - Feldkirch, Austria (historic center)
        > - Lindau, Germany (historic center)
        > - Greek Islands (?)
        >
        > ASIA:
        > - Gulangya Island (Xiamen, China)
        > - Cheung Chau Island (and others off of Hong Kong)
        >
        > AMERICAS:
        > AFRICA:
        > OCEANIA:
        >
        > --
        > Sticker Guy! / 702 Records
        > Po Box 204 Reno NV 89504
        > ph 775-358-7865 fx 775-358-2453
        > www.stickerguy.com
        >
        > PLEASE: Quote my message in your reply!

        rickrise@...
        Living Room Urban Ecology webzine: http://www.living-room.org
        "There is more to life than increasing its speed." (Gandhi)
      • ecopl@n.adsl
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 28, 2000
          This will be an interesting list but, as always, God is in the details.
          There are to my (fairly good) knowledge of the international scene hundreds
          of cities around the world (almost none in North America though) that have
          car-free or almost car-free areas of non-trivial dimensions. There are
          usually reasons for this (most often either pure history or geometric or
          topographical limitations, though increasingly a knitting together and
          gradual extension of successful pedestrian zones), and when you look at them
          together what is most notable is the range of their differences. I make
          this point because I think it's important not to be too categorical or
          idealistic in such a listing. Which makes it not such an easy thing to do.

          I hope very much that as you build it, you will keep the results posted on
          J. Crawford's fine car-free cities site, so that they are there for all to
          see, add to, qualify, etc. This kind of process can be very helpful.

          As to Peter's question about next car-free days, there are two big looming
          dates for both. The first is an "advance probe" which is being run by the
          city of Bogotá on Thursday February 1st, and the second is Earth Car Free
          Day which of course is on April 19th as many of you surely already know. If
          you go to the Earth Car Free Day site at
          http://ecoplan.org/carfreeday/EarthCFD/ (or the shorter www.carfreeday.com
          will also do it), you will find full details, including how the two are
          being related so as to mutually reinforce each other. This is, I might add,
          an important new wrinkle in the car-free day approach.

          Later in the year we shall be seeing a lot more, including of course the
          European Commission's program, probably a series of new demonstrations in
          China (building on the successes of Chengdu), and, we can be sure, a lot
          more. Again you will be able to follow this on the Earth Car Free Day site.

          The great thing about Earth Car Free Day 2001 is that it is being organized
          so that EVERYONE can do it. Check out the site for more on that, and maybe
          you too will join us in celebrating it on the 19th. We call this the
          trickle-up approach to sustainability. Be a part of it! Lots more fun than
          having someone in a uniform telling you what to do.

          With all good wishes for a sustainable 2001,

          Eric Britton

          ecopl@n___ technology, economy, society ___
          Eric.Britton@... URL ecoplan.org
          Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
          Voice/Videoconference/Data +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
          24 hour Voicemail/Fax hotline: +331 5301 2896
        • Stickerguy Pete
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2000
            I want the list to be as complete as possible. I'm aware that many
            European cities (most Dutch cities) have carfree centers. I think
            a list, however large, will be helpful in illustrating that the carfree
            idea is not only possible and realistic, but already successfully
            implemented.

            If Joel will have it, we'll definitely put the data up on carfree.com.

            - Pete

          • Randall Hunt
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2000
              Mont St. Michel, France
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2000
                Hi All,

                >I want the list to be as complete as possible. I'm aware that many
                >European cities (most Dutch cities) have carfree centers. I think
                >a list, however large, will be helpful in illustrating that the carfree
                >idea is not only possible and realistic, but already successfully
                >implemented.

                Yes, this is a good idea. However, Eric Britton, who also responded
                to this post, has already initiated such a list on one of his
                sites, and it would probably make more sense to continue to build
                on that.

                >If Joel will have it, we'll definitely put the data up on carfree.com.

                I would, of course, be more than willing to post it a carfree.com,
                but I think it makes more sense to build on what Eric has already
                done. So, Eric, where is it???

                Here are my additions to the Stickerguy Pete's posting (preceded by a +):

                EUROPE:

                Italy
                - Venice
                + Parma (small area of the old center)

                Switzerland
                - Zermatt
                - Winterthur (historic center)
                + Resort towns: Bettmeralp, Barunwald, Murren, Riederalp, Rigi, Sass-Fee, Stoos, Wengen

                Germany
                - Lindau (historic center)
                + Freiburg i. B. (large carfree center plus new Vauban addition)
                + Hamburg (Stadthaus Schlump)
                + Bremen (JHC thinks; Jan Scheurer has these details)

                The Netherlands
                + Amsterdam GWL project (600 housing units)
                + Geithoorn in the Netherlands (small, rural carfree town based on boats)

                Other
                - Feldkirch, Austria (historic center)
                - Greek Islands (?)
                + Vienna (Autofreie Mustersiedlung Floridsdorf housing project)
                + Edinburgh, UK (Slateford Green carfree development)

                ASIA:
                - Gulangya Island (Xiamen, China)
                - Cheung Chau Island (and others off of Hong Kong)

                AMERICAS:
                + Mackinaw (Mackinac???) Island in the Great Lakes (anybody have it exactly?)
                + Catalina Island, California (I think?)

                AFRICA:
                OCEANIA:

                ###

                J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                postmaster@... Carfree.com
              • Robert J. Matter
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2000
                  "J.H. Crawford" wrote [edited]:

                  > AMERICAS:
                  > + Mackinaw (Mackinac???) Island in the Great Lakes (anybody have it exactly?)

                  It is spelled Mackinac, pronounced Mack-in-aw. It is part of Michigan, located between the upper and lower peninsula (east side of the I-75 bridge in Lake Huron).

                  -Bob Matter
                  Hammond, IN
                  -----------
                  "Savage fires, the worst ever, raged
                  unchecked across drought-ridden US
                  landscapes last summer, West Nile
                  fever broke out in Boston. The ice cap
                  was found full of water and holes,
                  polar bears started to die and
                  persistent floods swept across Britain.
                  Yet on neither side of the Atlantic did
                  green issues register more than a
                  small blip on political screens."
                  --Polly Toynbee, The Guardian
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2000
                    Another addition to the list is Bhaktapur in Nepal. It's not
                    now carfree but is attempting to reach that goal by 2015, I
                    believe.

                    >Hi All,
                    >
                    >>I want the list to be as complete as possible. I'm aware that many
                    >>European cities (most Dutch cities) have carfree centers. I think
                    >>a list, however large, will be helpful in illustrating that the carfree
                    >>idea is not only possible and realistic, but already successfully
                    >>implemented.
                    >
                    >Yes, this is a good idea. However, Eric Britton, who also responded
                    >to this post, has already initiated such a list on one of his
                    >sites, and it would probably make more sense to continue to build
                    >on that.
                    >
                    >>If Joel will have it, we'll definitely put the data up on carfree.com.
                    >
                    >I would, of course, be more than willing to post it a carfree.com,
                    >but I think it makes more sense to build on what Eric has already
                    >done. So, Eric, where is it???
                    >
                    >Here are my additions to the Stickerguy Pete's posting (preceded by a +):
                    >
                    >EUROPE:
                    >
                    >Italy
                    >- Venice
                    >+ Parma (small area of the old center)
                    >
                    >Switzerland
                    >- Zermatt
                    >- Winterthur (historic center)
                    >+ Resort towns: Bettmeralp, Barunwald, Murren, Riederalp, Rigi, Sass-Fee, Stoos, Wengen
                    >
                    >Germany
                    >- Lindau (historic center)
                    >+ Freiburg i. B. (large carfree center plus new Vauban addition)
                    >+ Hamburg (Stadthaus Schlump)
                    >+ Bremen (JHC thinks; Jan Scheurer has these details)
                    >
                    >The Netherlands
                    >+ Amsterdam GWL project (600 housing units)
                    >+ Geithoorn in the Netherlands (small, rural carfree town based on boats)
                    >
                    >Other
                    >- Feldkirch, Austria (historic center)
                    >- Greek Islands (?)
                    >+ Vienna (Autofreie Mustersiedlung Floridsdorf housing project)
                    >+ Edinburgh, UK (Slateford Green carfree development)
                    >
                    >ASIA:
                    >- Gulangya Island (Xiamen, China)
                    >- Cheung Chau Island (and others off of Hong Kong)
                    + Bhaktapur, Nepal (planning to become carfree within 15 years)

                    >AMERICAS:
                    >+ Mackinaw (Mackinac???) Island in the Great Lakes (anybody have it exactly?)
                    >+ Catalina Island, California (I think?)
                    >
                    >AFRICA:
                    >OCEANIA:
                    >

                    > ###
                    >
                    >J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                    >postmaster@... Carfree.com

                    ###

                    J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                    postmaster@... Carfree.com
                  • Henning Mortensen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                      Don't forget Stroget, in the historic center of Copenhagen, Denmark

                    • Henning Mortensen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                        Excellent Job all, lets keep this going...

                        Say, how about adding some photographs of these areas to show people what
                        each is like. And to give us an idea of size how about a guestimate of just
                        how large the area is. How about we measure in km's of street with a side
                        note of extra courtyard area.

                        And we should likely add a comment about just how car free the area is. For
                        example stroget, in Copenhagen has about 10km (I may well be wrong here) of
                        street, about 200 meters squared of courtyards, and allows work vehicles and
                        delivery vans in but these must yeild to all pedestrians and thus crawl
                        through at less then walking pace. I should also add that the frequency of
                        car travel is likely less then 1/hour during times where people are around.

                        Not these figures are just drawn from my impressions. A bit more research
                        would give better results.