Re: [carfree_cities]

  • markandkerri
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2000
      Sometimes I use off road bike paths, to uni there is one that is much
      quicker than any road would be, although it is not sealed for half of the
      way, just gravel. Normally use the roads, the footpath (sidewalk) means
      that I have to act like a pedestrian, waiting for crossing lights, which are
      much more slow than traffic lights. The road scares me sometimes. Once
      when I was driving I saw a cyclist fatality, she'd been hit by a left
      turning car who hadn't given her right of way (we drive on the left side of
      the road in Australia). There aren't even painted on bike paths for cyclist
      commuters.... The traffic where I am means that a 7 minute drive (down the
      main street to the city from the suburb where I live) in off peak times can
      be in excess of 25 minutes in peak hour traffic (which is less time than it
      takes me to bike).