Re: [carfree_cities]

  • eyrehead
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 7:10 PM

      > I am a woman from Melbourne, who thinks the idea of living car free is
      > great, and am really enjoying reading the discussion in the newsgroup. I
      > have recently got rid of the family car (underused and overcapitalised) but
      > my husband has a work car with private use. The majority of my transport is
      > now by bike(to uni and to get bread and milk etc), walking (to the nearest
      > shopping centre/bus depot), or bus, with two trips to the gym a week and a
      > fortnightly grocery shop in the car (plus the occasional, obligatory, family
      > trip to see the in-laws).

      Do you bike on the road, share it with the cars? Do you walk on the road, or a
      sidewalk. I am not sure that is the term used in Melbourne. Kerb maybe? How
      thick is the traffic?

      Martha
    • markandkerri
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 11:56 PM
        Sometimes I use off road bike paths, to uni there is one that is much
        quicker than any road would be, although it is not sealed for half of the
        way, just gravel. Normally use the roads, the footpath (sidewalk) means
        that I have to act like a pedestrian, waiting for crossing lights, which are
        much more slow than traffic lights. The road scares me sometimes. Once
        when I was driving I saw a cyclist fatality, she'd been hit by a left
        turning car who hadn't given her right of way (we drive on the left side of
        the road in Australia). There aren't even painted on bike paths for cyclist
        commuters.... The traffic where I am means that a 7 minute drive (down the
        main street to the city from the suburb where I live) in off peak times can
        be in excess of 25 minutes in peak hour traffic (which is less time than it
        takes me to bike).