RE: [carfree_cities] Hands across the pacific...

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2000
      Henning Mortensen wrote:
      >Actually I live in Canada, worse... out on the frigid prairie. I have to
      >weigh all these proposals against -40C weather. Makes that 5 minute walk a
      >little more daunting. One nice thing about the internal combustion engine
      is
      >that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!

      Your Canadian as well? That makes three of us, Louis-Luc, my self and you.
      Which of the three prairie provinces do you live in? Here is Montreal
      winters can get damn cold just like out west. Riding a bike when it's -30C
      through snow drifts ain't easy, walking can be hard if the side walks
      haven't been ploughed. Bike path's can be good for cross country skiing. The
      heat issue is important for people in our climate.

      When you wrote: "One nice thing about the internal combustion engine is
      that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!" Consider people that do use cars,
      there is also all that energy shoveling snow (or paying somebody like with
      pickup truck and a plough), trying to start a car in the cold and all the
      time it takes to do that. There is also that ice factor, that turns roads
      into skating rinks. Salt is placed on roads for extra traction, but when the
      snow and ice melt in the spring that salt gets into the eco-system. Sand and
      gravel can also help.

      With this public transit becomes very important. Buses can handle snow with
      ease. Trains and trams can tackle extreme snow, ice is still a problem at
      points/switches, the way around that is to have switch heaters.

      Maybe some one on the list with Scandinavian connections might have other
      suggestions? Dawson
    • Luco
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2000
        About winter, I don't envy car drivers at all, not even
        more than during summer. That's true that biking is
        more troublesome, but yes it can be replaced by X-country
        skis, especially if we get rid of cars and if we
        leave the snow on a portion of the street for skiing.
        Snow removal is another issue, but we could imagine
        keeping the small caterpillar sidewalk snow plowers to
        remove snow on the portion of the street reserved for
        walking and winter biking, leaving the snow drift heap
        next to the ski lanes. Therefore there is more space
        to keep the snow and it doesn't have to be carried by
        trucks. AND the snow is WHITE, not brown or dirty gray.

        For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
        cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
        gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
        Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
        Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
        before cars arrived.

        This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
        arriving on time co-worker arrived
        1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
        I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
        man between my balcony and the street, no real need
        for a large snow blower when there's no car.

        Louis-Luc

      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2000
          Luco wrote:
          >For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
          >cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
          >gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
          >Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
          >Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
          >before cars arrived.

          We also have to give credit to the Native Americans.

          >This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
          >arriving on time co-worker arrived
          >1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
          >I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
          >man between my balcony and the street, no real need
          >for a large snow blower when there's no car.
          >Louis-Luc

          It's interesting what can be brought about by a snow storm.
          Dawson
        • Wade Eide
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2000
            At 18:13 02-05-00 -0400, you wrote:
            >Henning Mortensen wrote:
            > >Actually I live in Canada, worse... out on the frigid prairie. I have to
            > >weigh all these proposals against -40C weather. Makes that 5 minute walk a
            > >little more daunting. One nice thing about the internal combustion engine
            >is
            > >that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!
            >
            >Your Canadian as well? That makes three of us, Louis-Luc, my self and you.
            >Which of the three prairie provinces do you live in? Here is Montreal
            >winters can get damn cold just like out west. Riding a bike when it's -30C
            >through snow drifts ain't easy, walking can be hard if the side walks
            >haven't been ploughed. Bike path's can be good for cross country skiing. The
            >heat issue is important for people in our climate.
            >
            >(...)
            >
            >Maybe some one on the list with Scandinavian connections might have other
            >suggestions? Dawson

            Well, my grandparents were from Norway, so I guess that counts as a
            Scandinavian connection. And I live in Montreal. (Guess that makes at least
            3 of us on this list!)

            Five or six years ago, I kinda decided to push my biking season as far as I
            could. I ended up riding through the whole winter, only wimping out a
            couple of times. Two winters ago, I discovered the miracle of studded
            tires. Now I never miss a day of cycling because of the weather.

            What made me think that winter cycling must be possible was watching the
            intrepid bike couriers who brave just about any kind of weather. So I
            figured that if those twenty-something kids can do, by golly, so can I! I
            discovered that not only could I, but I also realised how easy it is. The
            cold is not a factor except for its effects on the bike itself. Dressing is
            similar to cross-country skiing. So far, I haven't reached my coldest
            limit; it doesn't often go below -30C here, but my limit is well below
            that. I've actually found it to be the greatest way to keep warm in
            winter-I usually have to open my jacket by the time I get to work in order
            to dissipate the heat I generate. I've also found that biking makes the
            winter so much more fun. By late fall, I'm almost yearning for that first
            snowfall. Almost.

            Every winter, there are more and more of us icebikers out on the streets of
            Montreal. And I've seen them in Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as well.
            Winter cycling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me!

            For anyone interested in winter cycling, here is the "official" icebikers'
            web page:
            http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/

            Wade Eide
            Montreal
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2000
              Wade Eide wrote:
              >Well, my grandparents were from Norway, so I guess that counts as a
              >Scandinavian connection. And I live in Montreal. (Guess that makes at least
              >3 of us on this list!)

              Make that four Canadians, three Montrealers!

              >Every winter, there are more and more of us icebikers out on the streets of
              >Montreal. And I've seen them in Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as well.
              >Winter cycling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me!

              That's nice to see. Dawson