Re: [carfree_cities] Hands across the pacific...

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2000
      Sam, I understand where you are coming from. Remember it is best to write
      what you know. Since I know about North American things that is what I write
      about. By all means tell us all about what is working and not working in
      Australia. Would love to hear it.

      Actually I live in Canada, worse... out on the frigid prairie. I have to
      weigh all these proposals against -40C weather. Makes that 5 minute walk a
      little more daunting. One nice thing about the internal combustion engine is
      that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!

      >From: "Sam Hodgkinson" <shodgkinson@...>
      >To: carfree_cities@egroups.com
      >Subject: [carfree_cities] Hands across the pacific...
      >Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:39:43 -0000
      >
      >Yeah, so certain U.S. cities are demolishing freeways...is Boston? No.
      >
      >Sydney is building them at a hellishly fast rate - we're getting
      >more "car sewers" in the CBD, for heaven's sake!
      >When will the politicians and planners start following this new
      >American trend??? (as all English-speaking democracies love to it
      >seems).
      >Your culture created car dependency, other cultures inhereted it as
      >some capitalist virtue and then it's like: "opps, sorry. We were
      >wrong, but you can still hold the automobile close to your chest if
      >it makes you happy".
      >
      >Fair enough, I'm "dummy spitting", but don't assume just becuase
      >certain things are happening in the U.S. that it's a worldwide
      >phenomenon. Look outside the bubble, people!
      >
      >Australia has some interesting and unique sustainable transport and
      >development policies and ideas - always has. It's the Americanised
      >corporate culture that's sought to dampen this "green" spirit.
      >Finally the ball is rolling and we're seeing some movement in the
      >broader political and community sphere, although we're stil hung up
      >on standards of living rather than quality of life.
      >
      >So, cast your net widely and see the bigger picture. I hear about
      >America all the time. I just glaze over. I know all too much about
      >the American experience as its constantly rammed down our throats by
      >the Murdoch media! Regardless, we're all here sharing the same vision
      >here, so I shouldn't knock the insularity of Americans so much.
      >
      >Ride a kilometre in my saddle and then you'll know what I'm on about.
      >
      >cheers,
      >
      >Sam.

    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2000
        Henning Mortensen wrote:
        >Actually I live in Canada, worse... out on the frigid prairie. I have to
        >weigh all these proposals against -40C weather. Makes that 5 minute walk a
        >little more daunting. One nice thing about the internal combustion engine
        is
        >that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!

        Your Canadian as well? That makes three of us, Louis-Luc, my self and you.
        Which of the three prairie provinces do you live in? Here is Montreal
        winters can get damn cold just like out west. Riding a bike when it's -30C
        through snow drifts ain't easy, walking can be hard if the side walks
        haven't been ploughed. Bike path's can be good for cross country skiing. The
        heat issue is important for people in our climate.

        When you wrote: "One nice thing about the internal combustion engine is
        that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!" Consider people that do use cars,
        there is also all that energy shoveling snow (or paying somebody like with
        pickup truck and a plough), trying to start a car in the cold and all the
        time it takes to do that. There is also that ice factor, that turns roads
        into skating rinks. Salt is placed on roads for extra traction, but when the
        snow and ice melt in the spring that salt gets into the eco-system. Sand and
        gravel can also help.

        With this public transit becomes very important. Buses can handle snow with
        ease. Trains and trams can tackle extreme snow, ice is still a problem at
        points/switches, the way around that is to have switch heaters.

        Maybe some one on the list with Scandinavian connections might have other
        suggestions? Dawson
      • Luco
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2000
          About winter, I don't envy car drivers at all, not even
          more than during summer. That's true that biking is
          more troublesome, but yes it can be replaced by X-country
          skis, especially if we get rid of cars and if we
          leave the snow on a portion of the street for skiing.
          Snow removal is another issue, but we could imagine
          keeping the small caterpillar sidewalk snow plowers to
          remove snow on the portion of the street reserved for
          walking and winter biking, leaving the snow drift heap
          next to the ski lanes. Therefore there is more space
          to keep the snow and it doesn't have to be carried by
          trucks. AND the snow is WHITE, not brown or dirty gray.

          For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
          cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
          gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
          Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
          Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
          before cars arrived.

          This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
          arriving on time co-worker arrived
          1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
          I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
          man between my balcony and the street, no real need
          for a large snow blower when there's no car.

          Louis-Luc

        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2000
            Luco wrote:
            >For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
            >cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
            >gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
            >Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
            >Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
            >before cars arrived.

            We also have to give credit to the Native Americans.

            >This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
            >arriving on time co-worker arrived
            >1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
            >I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
            >man between my balcony and the street, no real need
            >for a large snow blower when there's no car.
            >Louis-Luc

            It's interesting what can be brought about by a snow storm.
            Dawson
          • Wade Eide
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2000
              At 18:13 02-05-00 -0400, you wrote:
              >Henning Mortensen wrote:
              > >Actually I live in Canada, worse... out on the frigid prairie. I have to
              > >weigh all these proposals against -40C weather. Makes that 5 minute walk a
              > >little more daunting. One nice thing about the internal combustion engine
              >is
              > >that it wastes a lot of energy in heat!
              >
              >Your Canadian as well? That makes three of us, Louis-Luc, my self and you.
              >Which of the three prairie provinces do you live in? Here is Montreal
              >winters can get damn cold just like out west. Riding a bike when it's -30C
              >through snow drifts ain't easy, walking can be hard if the side walks
              >haven't been ploughed. Bike path's can be good for cross country skiing. The
              >heat issue is important for people in our climate.
              >
              >(...)
              >
              >Maybe some one on the list with Scandinavian connections might have other
              >suggestions? Dawson

              Well, my grandparents were from Norway, so I guess that counts as a
              Scandinavian connection. And I live in Montreal. (Guess that makes at least
              3 of us on this list!)

              Five or six years ago, I kinda decided to push my biking season as far as I
              could. I ended up riding through the whole winter, only wimping out a
              couple of times. Two winters ago, I discovered the miracle of studded
              tires. Now I never miss a day of cycling because of the weather.

              What made me think that winter cycling must be possible was watching the
              intrepid bike couriers who brave just about any kind of weather. So I
              figured that if those twenty-something kids can do, by golly, so can I! I
              discovered that not only could I, but I also realised how easy it is. The
              cold is not a factor except for its effects on the bike itself. Dressing is
              similar to cross-country skiing. So far, I haven't reached my coldest
              limit; it doesn't often go below -30C here, but my limit is well below
              that. I've actually found it to be the greatest way to keep warm in
              winter-I usually have to open my jacket by the time I get to work in order
              to dissipate the heat I generate. I've also found that biking makes the
              winter so much more fun. By late fall, I'm almost yearning for that first
              snowfall. Almost.

              Every winter, there are more and more of us icebikers out on the streets of
              Montreal. And I've seen them in Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as well.
              Winter cycling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me!

              For anyone interested in winter cycling, here is the "official" icebikers'
              web page:
              http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/

              Wade Eide
              Montreal
            • Ronald Dawson
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2000
                Wade Eide wrote:
                >Well, my grandparents were from Norway, so I guess that counts as a
                >Scandinavian connection. And I live in Montreal. (Guess that makes at least
                >3 of us on this list!)

                Make that four Canadians, three Montrealers!

                >Every winter, there are more and more of us icebikers out on the streets of
                >Montreal. And I've seen them in Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as well.
                >Winter cycling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me!

                That's nice to see. Dawson