Re: [carfree_cities] Avoidable Senior Citizen Deaths

  • Andy Morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
      Sorry I should of made it clearer, I sent this to rospa and bcc'd it to the
      list

      Andy M

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
        Great!!!
        I hope others write in too! Probably more important to write to RoSPA than
        MetroNews - so thanks.
        Simon

> [...]
        elderly -
        > to wear a bright item of clothing or something fluorescent."
        > "We don't expect to see OAPs in those bright jackets that builders wear -
        > even if it's just the bands cyclists wear on their arms, it's better than
        > nothing."
        > Jane Eason, from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents agreed.
        > "It is always better to try and wear something bright so drivers can make
        > you out, like a brightly coloured or white coat."
        > And the worsening winter weather means, if pedestrians don't look out, the
        > death toll in Brum will rise.
        > "People should also bear in mind that the bad weather conditions will
        affect
        > the visibility of both the driver and the pedestrian," said PC Evans. "The
        > driver's ability to stop will also be drastically reduced if the road

      • 3L
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000

          I tried to write to the Police website mentioned in the original message,
          typed a message in the comment box, but the 'submit' button didn't work.

          Putting the fault onto the inoffensive pedestrian is positively
          unacceptable. Drivers cause injuries, so they must bear the responsibility.

          Louis-Luc
        • Simon Baddeley
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
            Dear Louis-Luc

            Could you try

            Birmingham_metro@... - the newspaper email we didn't have before
            help@... the Royal society for the Prevention of Accidents
            a.j.ball@...> a West Midlands Police spokesperson number
            we now have

            Any letters would be much valued!

            Best wishes

            Simon

          • Mark Watson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
              "I didn't see you", is not an excuse; it is an admission of guilt. (of
              reckless driving)

              Mark

              ----Original Message Follows----
              From: "Andy Morris" <>

              >The excuse 'I didn't see them, they just stepped out' should not be
              acceptable,

              "Everywhere were the great shells of beetles which men had made and
              worshipped. They were automobiles. They had killed everything."
              -Kurt Vonnegut

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
                Mark said:

                >"I didn't see you", is not an excuse; it is an admission of guilt. (of
                >reckless driving)

                yes, problem is that the police rarely treat it so

                ###

                J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                postmaster@... Carfree.com
              • Andy Morris
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
                  That's what I would of written if I was more articulate :-)

                  I hope you wrote to rospa as well

                  Thanks

                  Andy M