Avoidable Senior Citizen Deaths

  • Andy Morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
      Attached is a story from the weekly Birmingham MetroNews - Thursday November
      30 2000 Issue 491.

      I find your response, disappointed and short sighted.

      If cars are travelling too fast for the road conditions and areas that they
      are driving in, it is the drivers fault if an accident with a pedestrian
      occurs. Advising senior citizens to wear fluorescent armbands is shifting
      the blame onto the victim and away from the irresponsible driver involved.

      Drivers should drive within the limits of visibility and with an awareness
      of the area that they are driving through. In a built up area drivers should
      be aware that there may be children, young people, senior citizens or
      perfectly fit and healthy pedestrians who may not be aware of their
      approach.

      To pursued people that the only route to safety on our roads is to enter a
      visibility arms race with ever faster traffic, on ever busier roads, is
      irresponsible, the way to make our roads safe for the majority of the
      population that isn't surrounded by a ton of steel, bull bars and airbags is
      to have enforced speed limits and to hold all drivers responsible for their
      actions.

      The excuse 'I didn't see them, they just stepped out' should not be
      acceptable, neither should it be a reason to tell people that they should
      dress up like a Christmas tree

      Your

      Andy Morris

      Headline:
      " WEAR DAY-GLO OR DIE"
      Police plea to OAPs as car deaths grow

      Story by Philip Jackson: The city's OAPs are being urged to wear fluorescent
      clothing to cut the number of pensioners hit by cars.
      Police say there have been more serious and fatal traffic collisions in the
      Kings Heath and Billesley area, and most involve elderly pedestrians.
      Now local bobby Caroline Evans is advising senior citizens in Brum to be
      smart and be seen - even if that means wearing bright or fluorescent
      clothes.
      She said that five of the seven road deaths in the area since June, and most
      of the serious injuries, had been older people. She put the problem down to
      elderly pedestrians crossing in the wrong place, and not being seen until it
      was too late.
      "There has recently been an increase in road traffic collisions where
      unfortunately elderly people have died trying to cross the road" she said.
      "To stop this from happening we advise the public - especially the elderly -
      to wear a bright item of clothing or something fluorescent."
      "We don't expect to see OAPs in those bright jackets that builders wear -
      even if it's just the bands cyclists wear on their arms, it's better than
      nothing."
      Jane Eason, from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents agreed.
      "It is always better to try and wear something bright so drivers can make
      you out, like a brightly coloured or white coat."
      And the worsening winter weather means, if pedestrians don't look out, the
      death toll in Brum will rise.
      "People should also bear in mind that the bad weather conditions will affect
      the visibility of both the driver and the pedestrian," said PC Evans. "The
      driver's ability to stop will also be drastically reduced if the road
      surface is wet or icy."
    • Andy Morris
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
        Sorry I should of made it clearer, I sent this to rospa and bcc'd it to the
        list

        Andy M

> [...]
        elderly -
        > to wear a bright item of clothing or something fluorescent."
        > "We don't expect to see OAPs in those bright jackets that builders wear -
        > even if it's just the bands cyclists wear on their arms, it's better than
        > nothing."
        > Jane Eason, from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents agreed.
        > "It is always better to try and wear something bright so drivers can make
        > you out, like a brightly coloured or white coat."
        > And the worsening winter weather means, if pedestrians don't look out, the
        > death toll in Brum will rise.
        > "People should also bear in mind that the bad weather conditions will
        affect
        > the visibility of both the driver and the pedestrian," said PC Evans. "The
        > driver's ability to stop will also be drastically reduced if the road

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
          Great!!!
          I hope others write in too! Probably more important to write to RoSPA than
          MetroNews - so thanks.
          Simon

> [...]
          elderly -
          > to wear a bright item of clothing or something fluorescent."
          > "We don't expect to see OAPs in those bright jackets that builders wear -
          > even if it's just the bands cyclists wear on their arms, it's better than
          > nothing."
          > Jane Eason, from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents agreed.
          > "It is always better to try and wear something bright so drivers can make
          > you out, like a brightly coloured or white coat."
          > And the worsening winter weather means, if pedestrians don't look out, the
          > death toll in Brum will rise.
          > "People should also bear in mind that the bad weather conditions will
          affect
          > the visibility of both the driver and the pedestrian," said PC Evans. "The
          > driver's ability to stop will also be drastically reduced if the road

        • 3L
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000

            I tried to write to the Police website mentioned in the original message,
            typed a message in the comment box, but the 'submit' button didn't work.

            Putting the fault onto the inoffensive pedestrian is positively
            unacceptable. Drivers cause injuries, so they must bear the responsibility.

            Louis-Luc
          • Simon Baddeley
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
              Dear Louis-Luc

              Could you try

              Birmingham_metro@... - the newspaper email we didn't have before
              help@... the Royal society for the Prevention of Accidents
              a.j.ball@...> a West Midlands Police spokesperson number
              we now have

              Any letters would be much valued!

              Best wishes

              Simon

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
                Mark said:

                >"I didn't see you", is not an excuse; it is an admission of guilt. (of
                >reckless driving)

                yes, problem is that the police rarely treat it so

                ###

                J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                postmaster@... Carfree.com
              • Andy Morris
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
                  That's what I would of written if I was more articulate :-)

                  I hope you wrote to rospa as well

                  Thanks

                  Andy M

                  > "I didn't see you", is not an excuse; it is an admission of guilt. (of
                  > reckless driving)
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > ----Original Message Follows----
                  > From: "Andy Morris" <>
                  >
                  > >The excuse 'I didn't see them, they just stepped out' should not be
                  > acceptable,

                  > "Everywhere were the great shells of beetles which men had made and
                  > worshipped. They were automobiles. They had killed everything."
                  > -Kurt Vonnegut

                • Mark Watson

                    From: "Andy Morris" <>