Hands across the pacific...

  • Sam Hodgkinson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000
      Yeah, so certain U.S. cities are demolishing freeways...is Boston? No.

      Sydney is building them at a hellishly fast rate - we're getting
      more "car sewers" in the CBD, for heaven's sake!
      When will the politicians and planners start following this new
      American trend??? (as all English-speaking democracies love to it
      seems).
      Your culture created car dependency, other cultures inhereted it as
      some capitalist virtue and then it's like: "opps, sorry. We were
      wrong, but you can still hold the automobile close to your chest if
      it makes you happy".

      Fair enough, I'm "dummy spitting", but don't assume just becuase
      certain things are happening in the U.S. that it's a worldwide
      phenomenon. Look outside the bubble, people!

      Australia has some interesting and unique sustainable transport and
      development policies and ideas - always has. It's the Americanised
      corporate culture that's sought to dampen this "green" spirit.
      Finally the ball is rolling and we're seeing some movement in the
      broader political and community sphere, although we're stil hung up
      on standards of living rather than quality of life.

      So, cast your net widely and see the bigger picture. I hear about
      America all the time. I just glaze over. I know all too much about
      the American experience as its constantly rammed down our throats by
      the Murdoch media! Regardless, we're all here sharing the same vision
      here, so I shouldn't knock the insularity of Americans so much.

      Ride a kilometre in my saddle and then you'll know what I'm on about.

      cheers,

      Sam.