Re: [carfree_cities] December issue of the New Colonist

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2000
      Hi Richard,

      Once more a great New Colonist. Yours and Eric's articles are
      especially good reading this month. I'll definitely be spreading these
      words.

      Jøsh Saitz' colorful article reaffirmed why for me, New York will always
      remain a great place to visit. I wonder if the conversion of Manhattan
      to a carfree city would eventually lessen among NewYorkers the crassness
      and casual malice so many of them seem to pride themselves on. Perhaps
      the quieter, saner streets would even inspire them to broaden their
      vocabularies a bit. Maybe Josh would discover the health benefits that
      might accrue to adding a dose of levity and a more sporting attitude
      toward his capers and their victims.

      The link to go from Eric's article directly to yours is a nice feature.
      A similar link at the end of every article (to the next) would be a nice
      addition for those of us who like to read the whole thing straight
      through. Also, the [more] link at the end of 'New to New York' doesn't
      work. It looks like there is an extra 'n' wedged in where it's not
      wanted.

      Thanks again for a great read.

      -T.J.

    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2000
        Todd J. Binkley wrote:
        >Jøsh Saitz' colorful article reaffirmed why for me, New York will always
        >remain a great place to visit. I wonder if the conversion of Manhattan
        >to a carfree city would eventually lessen among New Yorkers the crassness
        >and casual malice so many of them seem to pride themselves on. Perhaps
        >the quieter, saner streets would even inspire them to broaden their
        >vocabularies a bit. Maybe Josh would discover the health benefits that
        >might accrue to adding a dose of levity and a more sporting attitude
        >toward his capers and their victims.

        I really liked that article by John H. Vargo (The "Tappan Tunnel"), I just
        wonder if there would be enough clearance in his proposed tunnel? Dawson
        http://www.newcolonist.com/tunnel.html