RE: [carfree_cities] Something for everyone....

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2000
      Ryan,

      In Canada, the taxation powers of government are rather precisely laid out
      in the constitution. The gist of it is that the federal government
      has huge powers of taxation, the provinces have much lower powers, and the
      lower levels of government have almost no power.

      I think the clearest indication of this is that everywhere but Quebec (who
      haven't ratified the constitution), the provinces can't charge any form of
      income tax, and thus have to get the feds to collect a tax on their behalf
      and forward it to them.

      As I understand it, the feds have the income tax, excise taxes, tarriffs,
      duties, and apparently also sales taxes. The provinces have, sales taxes and
      rolalty taxes on resources.

      I am not quite clear on what forms of tax the local government can charge,
      but given what they do charge, I would guess they only have the property
      tax.

      Now, clearly history has shown us that these constitutional limits on
      taxation have been ignored, bent, and mishandled (ie. the provincial income
      tax), so I may have the odd one of the above wrong.
      Henning