RE: [carfree_cities] Report on Commuters.

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2000
      Jym Dyer wrote:

      >> http://www.theonion.com/onion3643/commuters_favor_public.html
      >>
      >> REPORT: 98% OF U.S. COMMUTERS FAVOR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION FOR OTHERS
      >
      >=v= It's satire, but it's too real.

      Quite so.

      >=v= In the early 1990s, opinion polls were conducted to measure
      >public support for rail spending propositions in California.
      >The picture that emerged of the Bay Area was that most of its
      >citizens wanted to spend money on rail, but they still wanted
      >to drive. They just want those other cars off the road.

      You would like what my friend wrote. Dawson

      "Reminds me of this old joke on some old show....a kid is telling his dad
      about the advantages of public transit, his dad agrees "yeah, there'll be
      shorter line ups at the gas station. And no more traffic jams. An' I can
      park wherever I want to." The kid explains that he means EVERYONE taking
      transit, and his dad explains "well I like to be different!"