Re: [carfree_cities] "Solving the problem of the automobile"

  • eyrehead
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      Sam Hodgkinson wrote:

      > "Solving the problem of the automobile"
      >
      > Well, it's a bloody big one, isn't it?
      > Where can we start?...
      >
      > Who is the person responsible???
      >
      > Can we resurrect Henry Ford and give him a good spanking?
      >
      > I wonder - I'd certainly love to leave the biggest bruise on his bum!

      It makes me foam at the mouth, that commercial that quotes Henry Ford extolling the
      automobile as a way we can all enjoy the wide open spaces. Those wide open spaces
      have been subdivided and the owners of the houses are stuck in traffic jams.

      Martha
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        Since were on this theme relating to Henry Ford, for a moment consider the
        Henry Ford Museum & Greenfiled Village. http://www.hfmgv.org/
        http://www.hfmgv.org/village/index.html One should note that this museum one
        particular form of transport seems to be missing? Dawson

      • eyrehead
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000

          > A suggestion of a thing to do is to gather everyone who wants a
          > carfree city and build one. I'm sure there is a sufficient number
          > of people in many countries who'd like to move to a carfree city
          > designed especially for them in their country. Lyon in France is
          > a good example. If France citizens who desire to live in a carfree
          > environment decide to move to Lyon, chances are that authorities
          > will have to realize some part (and eventually all part) of Lyon
          > must become carfree. Once we set up a real one, the citizens of surrounding

          Yes, small areas first. See what works, what doesn't, what's liked, what isn't.

          In suburbia, streets lined with houses, perhaps, if one lot at the end of the
          street could be the parking lot, maybe under ground, maybe partly underground,
          maybe an architecturally interesting parking structure, anyway, that could be where
          cars are kept in a car free street. Part of the contract of buying a house on a
          carfree street would be an agreement not to drive on the street. Emergency
          vehicles only. This could be a selling point for people with small children.
          The auto is so deadly that nearly everyone knows or knows of someone whose child
          has been hit by a car. Maybe the street could be a cul de sac to cars, but
          passable by bike.

          It seems farfetched but once smoke free areas in restaurants were outlandish. I
          think the best place to start carfree, or electric only public transportation would
          be in Florida or the SW US, in the retirement areas. These people have every
          incentive not to drive, they dislike noise, and sometimes have lung ailments
          exacerbated by pollution.

          Carfree is still a fringe idea in a lot of places, but a few working and attractive
          examples should push it into wider practice.

          Martha