[carfree_cities] Fire Island, NY

  • James Rombough
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2000
      Fire Island, a long, narrow barrier island off the south shore of Long
      Island, is car-free. I visited for a day two summers ago (took the
      LIRR from Forest Hills, Queens to Bayshore, then about a mile walk to
      the ferry).

      Most of the housing is used for daily or weekly rentals in the summer,
      but there are some permanent residents.