Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree test districts with cars hidden inthecenter

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      The proposed carfree test district with cars hidden in the center should definitely be considered only in areas where no real mass transit options exist;  where cars and regular buses are the only way to get people there.

      Note to everyone:  Sorry about the well, lengthiness of my first posting.
      It was late...  I was on a roll....  I couldn't stop myself .     I'll try and break future dissertations down into more easily digestible portions.

      Now about that exhaust ventilation...
      These huge ventilation shafts could be made of standard sheet metal ducting.  The fans and ducting could be fitted inside handsome towers, architecturally integrated into the corners of buildings.  As soon as mass transit is able to oust all the cars, the fans and stench-filled ducting could be removed (and recycled), and the towers could be put to other uses.  Some could be used to house and conceal wireless communication equipment.  Some might become lookout towers like the Campanile in Venice (see 'Carfree Cities', p. 166 ) ( see also Pattern 62, HIGH PLACES, in Alexander's, 'A Pattern Language', page 316:  "The instinct to climb up to some high place, from which you can look down and survey your world, seems to be a fundamental human instinct" ).     Others might simply become charming belltowers, with a stairwell or elevator below that serves the adjacent business.

      Cheers from Ventura,

      T.J.