RE: [carfree_cities] "Solving the problem of the automobile"

  • Luco
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000

      Agree with you 100%. Almost all inventions the Man did are an
      improvement: radio, TV, telephone, computer, house, telescope,
      and even the wheel (wheelchair, bicycle, cart, and record player).

      None of the above will endanger human life and environment, but
      the car is the worst invention the man ever made because it's
      dangerous. Everyday I hear between 3 to 5 people die or are
      hurt by the car or truck and that sucks, even more if the victim is a
      pedestrian or a cyclist.

      A suggestion of a thing to do is to gather everyone who wants a
      carfree city and build one. I'm sure there is a sufficient number
      of people in many countries who'd like to move to a carfree city
      designed especially for them in their country. Lyon in France is
      a good example. If France citizens who desire to live in a carfree
      environment decide to move to Lyon, chances are that authorities
      will have to realize some part (and eventually all part) of Lyon
      must become carfree. Once we set up a real one, the citizens of surrounding
      cities (and maybe elsewhere too) still stuck in traffic jams may also
      realize Lyon offers a better life quality and convert their city too.

      Louis-Luc
    • eyrehead
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        Sam Hodgkinson wrote:

        > "Solving the problem of the automobile"
        >
        > Well, it's a bloody big one, isn't it?
        > Where can we start?...
        >
        > Who is the person responsible???
        >
        > Can we resurrect Henry Ford and give him a good spanking?
        >
        > I wonder - I'd certainly love to leave the biggest bruise on his bum!

        It makes me foam at the mouth, that commercial that quotes Henry Ford extolling the
        automobile as a way we can all enjoy the wide open spaces. Those wide open spaces
        have been subdivided and the owners of the houses are stuck in traffic jams.

        Martha
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          Since were on this theme relating to Henry Ford, for a moment consider the
          Henry Ford Museum & Greenfiled Village. http://www.hfmgv.org/
          http://www.hfmgv.org/village/index.html One should note that this museum one
          particular form of transport seems to be missing? Dawson

        • eyrehead
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000

            > A suggestion of a thing to do is to gather everyone who wants a
            > carfree city and build one. I'm sure there is a sufficient number
            > of people in many countries who'd like to move to a carfree city
            > designed especially for them in their country. Lyon in France is
            > a good example. If France citizens who desire to live in a carfree
            > environment decide to move to Lyon, chances are that authorities
            > will have to realize some part (and eventually all part) of Lyon
            > must become carfree. Once we set up a real one, the citizens of surrounding

            Yes, small areas first. See what works, what doesn't, what's liked, what isn't.

            In suburbia, streets lined with houses, perhaps, if one lot at the end of the
            street could be the parking lot, maybe under ground, maybe partly underground,
            maybe an architecturally interesting parking structure, anyway, that could be where
            cars are kept in a car free street. Part of the contract of buying a house on a
            carfree street would be an agreement not to drive on the street. Emergency
            vehicles only. This could be a selling point for people with small children.
            The auto is so deadly that nearly everyone knows or knows of someone whose child
            has been hit by a car. Maybe the street could be a cul de sac to cars, but
            passable by bike.

            It seems farfetched but once smoke free areas in restaurants were outlandish. I
            think the best place to start carfree, or electric only public transportation would
            be in Florida or the SW US, in the retirement areas. These people have every
            incentive not to drive, they dislike noise, and sometimes have lung ailments
            exacerbated by pollution.

            Carfree is still a fringe idea in a lot of places, but a few working and attractive
            examples should push it into wider practice.

            Martha