Re: [carfree_cities] Seattle monorail

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2000
      >Every urban elevated rail system I've seen is indeed rather ugly. The
      >worst part (assuming noise was controlled) is all that dark, dreary,
      >useless space under the tracks. This could in theory be mitigated by
      >putting the tracks on top of the four-story, contiguous buildings lining
      >Main street. This wouldn't be my first choice, and would probably be
      >more expensive than digging tunnels in some existing areas. But imagine
      >building a carfree 'reference district' on a site that was slated to
      >include an extension of an existing elevated monorail system. If the
      >piers and track were built first, then four-storey buildings were built
      >under and around the rail infrastructure, as part of an integrated
      >design that would conceal it from view of pedestrians below, then the
      >only place it would be visible would be between buildings where it
      >spanned cross streets. These bridges would be high enough to permit
      >light beneath them, and could be incorporated into
      >aesthetically-pleasing design elements such as arched 'city gate'-like
      >structures, as well as fully-enclosed building space with 'sottoportego'
      >below. The view from up there might be nice, and might contribute to
      >that process of cognitively mapping the urban microcosm in which one
      >lives (see pattern 62, HIGH PLACES, in Alexander's, 'A Pattern
      >Language').

      One problem here: acoustic isolation of the tracks from the buildings
      may turn out to be an almost insurmountable problem. The tracks would
      have to bridge the buildings, resting at regular intervals on piers
      that were completely isolated from the adjacent buildings. All possible,
      but difficult, I think. If we ever get working maglev at a price
      we can afford, the situation might be different--there's no wheel noise.

      A further advantage of underground systems is that they are totally
      unaffected by weather, excepting only floods.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2000
        Todd J. Binkley wrote:

        >Every urban elevated rail system I've seen is indeed rather ugly. The
        >worst part (assuming noise was controlled) is all that dark, dreary,
        >useless space under the tracks. This could in theory be mitigated by
        >putting the tracks on top of the four-story, contiguous buildings lining
        >Main street. This wouldn't be my first choice, and would probably be
        >more expensive than digging tunnels in some existing areas. But imagine
        >building a carfree 'reference district' on a site that was slated to
        >include an extension of an existing elevated monorail system. If the
        >piers and track were built first, then four-storey buildings were built
        >under and around the rail infrastructure, as part of an integrated
        >design that would conceal it from view of pedestrians below, then the
        >only place it would be visible would be between buildings where it
        >spanned cross streets. These bridges would be high enough to permit
        >light beneath them, and could be incorporated into
        >aesthetically-pleasing design elements such as arched 'city gate'-like
        >structures, as well as fully-enclosed building space with 'sottoportego'
        >below. The view from up there might be nice, and might contribute to
        >that process of cognitively mapping the urban microcosm in which one
        >lives (see pattern 62, HIGH PLACES, in Alexander's, 'A Pattern
        >Language').

        Of what you wrote it reminds me of the New York Central Railroad's West Side
        Line on Manhattan. http://www.railroad.net/nyc/westside.html
        http://bjr.acf.nyu.edu/railinfo/car-floats/nyc-lwsrrl.html

        Plus what happened in Vienna on where the old city wall use to be.
        http://www.uncanny.net/~wetzel/vienna.htm

        Here in Montreal, south of Central Station there is a long viaduct with
        buildings incorporated into the structure.
        http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/DeuxMontagnes/Tunnel/CarteDuTunnel.jpg
        http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/GareCentrale/
        A Central Station interior shot.
        http://montreal.cityvu.com/visions/vmtl2408.jpg
        This photo show our former commuter locomotives out on the viaduct.
        http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/qu/htm/cn035.htm Dawson
      • Erik Rauch
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2000
          The Schwebebahn in the German city of Wuppertal, an overhead monorail,
          is a point of local pride. It was built 100 years ago and recently
          renovated. It carries 25 million passengers a year in a city with
          390,000 inhabitants. My recollection is that the space under it is not
          unpleasant, though it probably has the same noise problems as elevated
          trains.

          http://www.uni-wuppertal.de/wuppertal/schwebebahn
          In English: http://www.wsw-online.de/seiten/schwebebahn/english.html

          --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <postmaster@c...>
          wrote:

          > Mark Watson said:
          >
          > >Chicago's dark streets below the 'L' are another example
          >
          > (of the unpleasant space beneath elevated transport systems)
          >
          > Let's remember that Boston is spending more than $13 BILLION
          > to put an overhead freeway underground. Carfree Cities has a
          > picture of an elevated station in New York, seen from underneath.
          > Nobody in his right mind would want one of these things in his
          > neighborhood.
          >

          > ###
          >
          > J.H. Crawford Carfree
          Cities
          > postmaster@c... Carfree.com
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2000
            Erik Rauch wrote:
            >The Schwebebahn in the German city of Wuppertal, an overhead monorail,
            >is a point of local pride. It was built 100 years ago and recently
            >renovated. It carries 25 million passengers a year in a city with
            >390,000 inhabitants. My recollection is that the space under it is not
            >unpleasant, though it probably has the same noise problems as elevated
            >trains.
            >
            >http://www.uni-wuppertal.de/wuppertal/schwebebahn
            >In English: http://www.wsw-online.de/seiten/schwebebahn/english.html

            The Schwebebahn system in Wuppertal is an impressive thing, but also we have
            to remember that a lot of the ROW (right of way) is above a river. Dawson

            P.S. For some good photos of it, go to http://www.lightrail.co.uk/wsw/ .
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2000
              Erik Rauch said:

              >The Schwebebahn in the German city of Wuppertal, an overhead monorail,
              >is a point of local pride. It was built 100 years ago and recently
              >renovated. It carries 25 million passengers a year in a city with
              >390,000 inhabitants. My recollection is that the space under it is not
              >unpleasant, though it probably has the same noise problems as elevated
              >trains.
              >
              >http://www.uni-wuppertal.de/wuppertal/schwebebahn
              >In English: http://www.wsw-online.de/seiten/schwebebahn/english.html

              The rennovation may actually have been the cause of the only
              accident a year or two ago--one of the cars hit a maintenance
              platform, as I recall. The car crashed into the canal below,
              killing a couple of people as I recall.

              The photos I've seen are not at all attractive. The thing is
              built on large pylons that raise it fairly high above the canal
              above which it runs, and the bridging between the pylons is
              not particularly attractive, either. I'll bet it all makes
              plenty of noise, too.

              I stick by my guns: overhead systems are to be avoided.
              I wouldn't be surprised if the canal is essentially no
              longer used. I'd be interested to know if the canal could
              be drained, the tracks set in the canal bed and then
              covered over to make a greenbelt/bikeway/whatever. Then
              all those ugly pylons could come down.

              ###

              J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
              postmaster@... Carfree.com
            • Lanyon, Ryan
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2000
                Wow, is that ever intrusive on the urban landscape! I wonder if it blocks
                sufficient amounts of sunlight to affect the ecosystems of the river?

                -RL