Re: [carfree_cities] Bikes and Streetcars

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2000
      Richard Risemberg replied to:

      >> I have heard that it's possible to pack the wheel groove with a
      >> soft rubber that compresses under the tram wheels but provides
      >> a relatively flat surface for bikes. Anyone know for sure?

      >I've seen that in California but I haven't been impressed with how it
      >works.

      I still believe that the real solution for passenger transport in larger
      cities is underground, not at grade, and certainly not in the air. The
      tram brings with it a number of problems with it that don't affect metros,
      such as the caught-bike-wheel problem. The surface tram can be a pleasant
      alternative in some circumstances.

      The metro is less pleasant for riders (although safer, faster, and
      more comforatble). Doesn't this encourage people to walk or to bike,
      especially if the streets are free of all medium- and high-speed vehicles,
      including trams? And wouldn't that be a fine thing--to encourage people
      to get a little more exercize?

      It's a money thing, to some degree--you do what you can. Curitiba dit it
      using buses.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com