gas powered mowers/trimmers/blowers

  • William Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4 11:04 AM
      >I continue to contend that there is no more consistently irritating noise
      than the gas- or nuclear/coal-powered (electric) lawn mowers and their new
      cousins, the gas-powered rakes and brooms.

      I agree on the gas-powered part, but take exception on the electric part.
      I have both gas and electric lawnmowers, preferring electric whenever it is
      not appropriate to use my manual rotary mower (human powered only) on our
      1/4 acre lawn. The other 10 acres I have are cut primarily by sheep.

      Electric mowers are fairly quiet, and when one generates their own
      electricity (as I do) by wind/solar/whatever, they become environmentally
      benign.

      Of course, one good rule of thumb out of this thread would be to insist on
      non-gas powered landscaping tools in a carfree district.

      Will Stewart
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4 1:28 PM
        William Stewart wrote:
        >I agree on the gas-powered part, but take exception on the electric part.
        >I have both gas and electric lawnmowers, preferring electric whenever it is
        >not appropriate to use my manual rotary mower (human powered only) on our
        >1/4 acre lawn. The other 10 acres I have are cut primarily by sheep.

        How big is your flock? I've heard that some places use same the method for
        "lawns", but either sheep or goats. I believe Curitiba is one such place?
        Dawson
      • unno@uswestmail.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6 10:04 AM
          On Sat, 04 November 2000, "William Stewart" wrote:

          Of course, one good rule of thumb out of this thread would be to insist on non-gas powered landscaping tools in a carfree district.

          Don't worry...gas will be effectively gone soon enough...in the overall scheme of human history, our century of cheap, abundant oil has been little but a brief flash...

          In oil, humanity had the opportunity to make great leaps, to take giant steps...while we have done much, to little of what we have done will long endure after the last drop of oil falls from the end of the pipe.

          Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net