Re: [carfree_cities] Bikes and Streetcars

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2000
      "J.H. Crawford" wrote:

      > Tim Wong asked:
      >
      > >How do bikes and streetcar tracks get along

      > Here in Amsterdam there are tram track throughout the city.
      > People are aware of the danger and know how to deal with it.
      > I've had trouble only once myself, saw it coming, and slowed
      > down enough that I didn't actually fall, although I lost
      > control of the bike.
      A simple solution is to jerk up on the handlebars as you cross the
      tracks, lifting the front wheel and inch or so. The rear wheel almost
      always tracks over the rails without trouble.
      > I have heard that it's possible to pack the wheel groove with a
      > soft rubber that compresses under the tram wheels but provides
      > a relatively flat surface for bikes. Anyone know for sure?

      I've seen that in California but I haven't been impressed with how it
      works.

      Richard

      rickrise@...
      Living Room Urban Ecology webzine: http://www.living-room.org
      "There is more to life than increasing its speed." (Gandhi)
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2000
        Richard Risemberg replied to:

        >> I have heard that it's possible to pack the wheel groove with a
        >> soft rubber that compresses under the tram wheels but provides
        >> a relatively flat surface for bikes. Anyone know for sure?

        >I've seen that in California but I haven't been impressed with how it
        >works.

        I still believe that the real solution for passenger transport in larger
        cities is underground, not at grade, and certainly not in the air. The
        tram brings with it a number of problems with it that don't affect metros,
        such as the caught-bike-wheel problem. The surface tram can be a pleasant
        alternative in some circumstances.

        The metro is less pleasant for riders (although safer, faster, and
        more comforatble). Doesn't this encourage people to walk or to bike,
        especially if the streets are free of all medium- and high-speed vehicles,
        including trams? And wouldn't that be a fine thing--to encourage people
        to get a little more exercize?

        It's a money thing, to some degree--you do what you can. Curitiba dit it
        using buses.

        ###

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com