Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree test districts with cars hidden in thecenter

Expand Messages
  • Richard Risemberg
    ... Let s face it, if you re running electric buses underground, you may as well go to a subway. Faster, smoother, safer, more capacity, more efficient, not
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      At 5/1/00 09:20:00, you wrote:
      >Maybe the exhaust could be mechanically ventilated up through the
      >industrial buildings to their rooftops. A temporary soultion, to be
      >sure, and hopefully one of very limited duration.
      >Electric buses would be great if the proposed test district was
      >connected to a city with an existing comprehensive public transit
      >system.

      Let's face it, if you're running electric buses underground, you may as well go to a subway. Faster, smoother, safer, more capacity, more efficient, not much more expensive to build. Maybe even less!

      Rick

      --
      Richard Risemberg
      editor@...
      Living Room Urban Ecology Web Magazine
      http://living-room.org
    • rauch@ai.mit.edu
      ... as well go to a subway. Faster, smoother, safer, more capacity, more efficient, not much more expensive to build. Agreed. The Boston area s transit agency
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@e...>
        wrote:
        > Let's face it, if you're running electric buses underground, you may
        as well go to a subway. Faster, smoother, safer, more capacity, more
        efficient, not much more expensive to build.

        Agreed. The Boston area's transit agency is proposing to run an
        electric bus line, partially underground, as a long-promised
        replacement for an old elevated metro serving the inner-city area of
        Roxbury that last ran in 1986 (the so-called "Silver Line",
        http://brt.volpe.dot.gov/projects/boston.html). However, opponents
        residents of the area have made a good point that this is inferior and
        not much cheaper than a metro. The underground section (linking to the
        new Seaport District) has already seen its estimated budget rise to
        $600 million.
      • J.H. Crawford
        ... Lest we forget, the BigDig is costing as much as 22 of the underground sections. There should be plenty of money! ### J.H. Crawford
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        • 0 Attachment
          Erik Rauch said:

          >Agreed. The Boston area's transit agency is proposing to run an
          >electric bus line, partially underground, as a long-promised
          >replacement for an old elevated metro serving the inner-city area of
          >Roxbury that last ran in 1986 (the so-called "Silver Line",
          >http://brt.volpe.dot.gov/projects/boston.html). However, opponents
          >residents of the area have made a good point that this is inferior and
          >not much cheaper than a metro. The underground section (linking to the
          >new Seaport District) has already seen its estimated budget rise to
          >$600 million.

          Lest we forget, the BigDig is costing as much as 22 of the underground
          sections. There should be plenty of money!



          ###

          J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
          postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
        • Ronald Dawson
          ... That s if there is any money left over? Dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          • 0 Attachment
            J.H. Crawford wrote:

            >Erik Rauch said:
            >>Agreed. The Boston area's transit agency is proposing to run an
            >>electric bus line, partially underground, as a long-promised
            >>replacement for an old elevated metro serving the inner-city area of
            >>Roxbury that last ran in 1986 (the so-called "Silver Line",
            >>http://brt.volpe.dot.gov/projects/boston.html). However, opponents
            >>residents of the area have made a good point that this is inferior and
            >>not much cheaper than a metro. The underground section (linking to the
            >>new Seaport District) has already seen its estimated budget rise to
            >>$600 million.

            >Lest we forget, the BigDig is costing as much as 22 of the underground
            >sections. There should be plenty of money!

            That's if there is any money left over? Dawson
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.