New Issue of New Colonist

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2000
      The November issue of New Colonist is out, with Toronto as featured
      city, plus cityguides, editorials, and essays having to do with urban
      life and sustainability. Go to http://www.newcolonist.com and see
      what's new at New Colonist!

      Richard
      rickrise@...
      Living Room Urban Ecology webzine: http://www.living-room.org
      "There is more to life than increasing its speed." (Gandhi)
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
        January's issue of The New Colonist is online now, with Boston as its
        featured city and two articles by Jane Holtz Kay, the author of "Asphalt
        Nation" and herself a resident of Boston.

        Also included are articles on the treasures in trash, the history of the
        Ben Avon streetcar suburb, and famed new York City nightclub, Max's
        Kansas City, as well as the usual regular features and editorials.

        See what's new at http://www.newcolonist.com!

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2001
          The February issue of The New Colonist is now online at
          http://www.newcolonist.com This month's Featured City is Zagreb,
          Croatia, with articles exploring a hundred years of city planning amid
          the turmoil of war and revolution there.

          Also featured are articles by Jane Holtz Kay, Fancis Raven, Ann Barrett,
          and a bright young writer from San Francisco named Zoe Abrahms, as well
          as editorials by Eric Miller and Richard Risemberg, plus Citysongs,
          surveys, city guide pages, and the Roadkill Bill cartoon!

          Visit The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

          Thank you,

          Richard
          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
          M. K. Gandhi
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
            It's here! Go to http://www.newcolonist.com and peruse our November
            issue. We are featuring Urban Rivers this month, as well as general
            interest stories, Street Food, the Roadkill Bill cartoon, and
            editorials.

            River stories cover Los Angeles, Chicago, Winnipeg, Portland, and cities
            in Wisconsin and Kansas; we also present Ryan Caviglia's tale of
            development gone wrong in Kansas City, as well as Sally Chung's review
            of a new farmer's market in Silverlake.

            November's editorials explore the value of place and the pleasures of
            city living.

            The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.living-room.org
            http://www.newcolonist.com

            "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."
            M. K. Gandhi

            deserve neither liberty nor safety."
            Benjamin Franklin
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2001
              The December issue of The New Colonist is online now at
              http://www.newcolonist.com This month we explore Downtown Shopping,
              since many of you will be shopping for holiday gifts in the next few
              weeks; we will also present our usual slew of articles on a variety of
              topics, including Arianna Huffington's latest piece on SUVs and the flag
              frenzy, plus Street Food, Citysongs, Roadkill Bill, our editorials, and
              other regular features.

              Something please you excessively, or get you hot under the collar? We
              now have a bulletin board as well as our regular email forum; go to our
              Feedback section to join either one, or to read selected letters to the
              editor. All at The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
              http://www.living-room.org
              http://www.newcolonist.com

              "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
              just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
              to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

              Lu Hsun
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
                Happy New Year to all, and wishes for a peaceful and prosperous time for
                all peoples in all places in this complicated world during the coming
                year....

                The New Colonist offers you our first issue of the year, now online and
                available at http://www.newcolonist.com This month's theme is Food in
                the City, so pull up a chair and dig in to articles on eating in LA,
                Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and other cities, as well as stories on New
                Urbanist developments in Louisville, programs to create sustainable
                environmentally-clean businesses that also eliminate welfare, and the
                hassles in of living behind walls that are just too thin for privacy,
                plus our usual Citysongs and Editorials. All online today at

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 30, 2002
                  The May issue of theh New Colonist is online and available at
                  http://www.newcolonist.com This month we feature "Seers & Shapers,"
                  people past and present whose efforts continue to nurture our cities and
                  help them become the places that best can nurture our humanity. We
                  include an interview with Jane Jacobs and stories about George Pullman,
                  Jane Addams, J. H. Crawford, and Chicago neighborhood activist Enrique
                  Salgado, as well as most of our usual features and editorials. All at

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 31, 2002
                    The New Colonist presents its November 2002 issue, online today at
                    http://www.newcolonist.com This month we are presenting The Best of
                    The New Colonist, a selection of our favorite articles, essays, and
                    features from the last two years. Click on over and see what you've
                    missed if you just got to know us, or, if you're one of our "charter
                    readers," see whether you agree with our selections. And don't forget
                    our editorials, new for this month, with links to the editors' favorites
                    listed beneath each excerpt. All on The New Colonist, at

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                      Hello All--

                      The August issue of The New Colonist is now online at
                      http://www.newcolonist.com This month's feature articles cover:

                      *The Spamming of Boston, by Jane Holtz Kay
                      *Light Rail and Omaha, by Eric C. Miller and Gerald Kopiasz

                      We also present our usual editorials and features, including:

                      *We Must Keep Going, Richard Risemberg's musings on the driving,
                      solitude, tragedy, and age
                      *Yesterday and Tomorrow, Eric Miller's tale of two cities
                      *Spitak, the wonderful LA bakery with the awful name

                      For subscribers, there are now nearly 500 articles, editorials, essays,
                      and reviews in our archives...and for non-members, subscriptions are on
                      sale now: join up for only $2.99 for three months! Just click on the
                      orange "Subscribe" link on the left side of the homepage.

                      The New Colonist...we're about life in the city!

                      http://www.living-room.org
                      http://www.newcolonist.com

                      "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
                      an obligation; every possession, a duty."
                      John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 29, 2003
                        Hello All--

                        The November issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                        http://www.newcolonist.com (We are publishing a day early this time to
                        accommodate staff vacations.)

                        Among our offerings this month are:

                        *The Property Rights Hypocrisy,by Keith Schneider
                        *If We Change It, They Will Come, by Eric Miller
                        *Brozers: Burgers in Tokyo, by Mike L. Wong

                        Plus our editorials:

                        *Space Adventure, by Richard Risemberg
                        *Pittsburgh Pilgrimage, by Eric Miller

                        And of course there is our archive of over 500 articles, essays,
                        reviews, and more, much of it illustrated with fine photography, and all
                        of it dedicated to urban living, community, sustainability, and a good
                        life for all.

                        So click on over to http://www.newcolonist.com and magnify your world!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
                          Well, another month has come, and so here's the latest issue of the New
                          Colonist, online now at http://www.newcolonist.com For December we
                          feature the following articles, editorials, and reviews:

                          *Lighting Up Pittsburgh
                          Discover a new holiday tradition in a reinvented city

                          *Striking It Rich in St. Louis Groceries
                          A grocery strike sends the author on a voyage of discovery

                          *A Tale of Two Spaces
                          Richard Risemberg explores two modern-day souks in Los Angeles

                          *Residents
                          Eric Miller covers the forgotten value in the downtown equation

                          *Book Review: The Voluntary City

                          *Street Food: Dim Sum on Lake Erie

                          Plus our huge sustainability and urban lifestyle archive, our City
                          Pages, and our Corner Store, all at http://www.newcolonist.com for one
                          and all to enjoy.

                          Thnak you,

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 31, 2003
                            Welcome to 2004 and another new issue of the New Colonist! Go to
                            http://www.newcolonist.com to read our latest articles, including:

                            *What Are They Afraid Of?, Keith Schneider's analysis of conservative
                            opposition to the growth of Smart Growth

                            *Pedestrian Streets, a photo essay exploring the phenomenon in Japan,
                            Argentina, and Los Angeles

                            *A Wish for Your City, where New Colonist readers tell the world what
                            they'd like to see happen in their towns in 2004

                            And your editors' personal wish lists for Pittsburgh and Los Angeles,
                            along with over 500 articles, essays, and reviews in our archives, all
                            at http://www.newcolonist.com, and always free.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 29, 2004
                              The March issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                              http://www.newcolonist.com

                              This month's features:

                              *Sixty Days, Next Year
                              C. Haynes presents the diary of an ordinary American in the
                              extraordinary days after the fall of the House of Saud and the collapse
                              of the world oil market....

                              *Home Sick
                              Richard Risemberg turns sick days into an opportunity to reflect on the
                              differences between the inner suburb where he grew up and the vibrant
                              city neighborhood, only three miles away, where he lives now.

                              *"This Old House" and Neighborhood Rejuvenation
                              Eric Miller exposes the hidden bargains of America's oldest
                              neighborhoods, which present a chance to buy into both the real estate
                              market and the future of humanity on the cheap.

                              *Concierge
                              Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                              weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                              calculator, with more on the way!

                              *Vox Civitatis
                              Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                              assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                              state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                              And of course a wealth of
                              reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our more than
                              500-article Archive!

                              All on The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 1, 2004
                                The May issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                                http://www.newcolonist.com!

                                This month's features:

                                * Waste Treatment Gets a New Look in Japan
                                Mike Wong visits the garbage dump for a very pleasant outing....
                                * Iraq, Spring 2004
                                Richard Risemberg responds to Nicholas Kristof's call for oil war
                                poetry....
                                * Cities and the Seeds of Change
                                Eric Miller explores the role of today's cities as nurseries of
                                social change....
                                * Concierge
                                Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                                weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                                calculator, with more on the way!
                                * Vox Civitatis
                                Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                                assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                                state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                                And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
                                in our more than 500-article Archive!
                                http://www.living-room.org
                                http://www.newcolonist.com

                                "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                                will not even be human."

                                RR
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
                                  The February issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                                  http://www.newcolonist.com!

                                  This month's features:

                                  • Twin Cities Turnaround
                                  Karen Sandness finds her hometown's finally growing up....
                                  • Our Own Day Here
                                  What is culture really worth? What does it mean?...
                                  • Saving the City
                                  One house at a time....
                                  • Concierge
                                  Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
                                  forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                                    The July issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at http://www.newcolonist.com!
                                    This month's features:

                                    Tales from a Chicago Coffeehouse
                                    Stories from a paradigmatic urban place....

                                    Sense & Subsidy
                                    Hypocrisy and community battle it out on the streets....

                                    How Did This House Get Like This?
                                    Abandonment and revival in Pittsburgh....

                                    Concierge
                                    Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!

                                    Vox Civitatis
                                    Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                                    And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our comprehensive Archive!