Re: [carfree_cities] Noise

  • Philip D Riggs
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2000
      The noises frustrating me most these days are loud car radios and overly
      loud motorcycles. When the bass of a car system can rattle my windows
      from 300 feet away it is excessive. And the high pitch whine of a
      motorcycle zooming from a stop sign raises my anxiety level. I wish every
      city in the US would adopt some sort of noise pollution. Has Europe
      addressed these problems, or are Europeans more conscious of the bother
      these things cause? I think one of the side benefits of the car is the
      isolation from the problems they cause. Concern for neighbor has
      disappeared from America. I laugh when I hear G. Bush's plan for public
      support of social programs. Nobody cares about the people around them
      when they are isolated from the problems of the poor, sick, and elderly.

      *******************************
      Philip Riggs
      Colorado State University
      Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Wong, Tim
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2000
        I continue to contend that there is no more consistently irritating noise
        than the gas- or nuclear/coal-powered (electric) lawn mowers and their new
        cousins, the gas-powered rakes and brooms. Most motorcycles and cars are at
        least moving, as irritating as their noise is when they're right near you.
        Compare that to your polar icecap-melting neighbor using a power lawn mower
        to mow a postage stamp-sized lawn and taking longer to do it than it takes
        me to use my brown rice-powered reel mower. As a society, we have somehow
        accepted that affront to everyone's ears within a block because it is
        "mainstream" people doing it. Imagine how soon the police would be called
        on a noise complaint if some teenagers played heavy metal or rap music for
        15 minutes at the decibel level of a gas-powered lawn mower.

        tim

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2000
          Philip Riggs said:

          >The noises frustrating me most these days are loud car radios and overly
          >loud motorcycles.

          We've got Harleys here that are every bit as noisy as the
          ones in the USA. It's simply inconceivable that this sort
          of public insult is permitted.

          >When the bass of a car system can rattle my windows
          >from 300 feet away it is excessive.

          I'd say it's far beyond excessive. It's an issue here, too.

          >And the high pitch whine of a
          >motorcycle zooming from a stop sign raises my anxiety level. I wish every
          >city in the US would adopt some sort of noise pollution. Has Europe
          >addressed these problems, or are Europeans more conscious of the bother
          >these things cause?

          There is some awareness here, and some steps have been taken.
          Some of the worst offenders here belong to the "motor-scooter"
          class of vehicles, some of them being incredibly loud. The police
          have stepped in here, and the situation is not as bad as it was.

          >I think one of the side benefits of the car is the
          >isolation from the problems they cause. Concern for neighbor has
          >disappeared from America. I laugh when I hear G. Bush's plan for public
          >support of social programs. Nobody cares about the people around them
          >when they are isolated from the problems of the poor, sick, and elderly.

          Yes, I've always said that social issues are at the heart of the
          carfree concept, and that private cars are a major cause of
          social isolation, for a host of reasons.

          ###

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          postmaster@... Carfree.com