Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree test districts with cars hidden in thecenter

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      Maybe the exhaust could be mechanically ventilated up through the
      industrial buildings to their rooftops. A temporary soultion, to be
      sure, and hopefully one of very limited duration.
      Electric buses would be great if the proposed test district was
      connected to a city with an existing comprehensive public transit
      system.

      T.J.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        At 5/1/00 09:20:00, you wrote:
        >Maybe the exhaust could be mechanically ventilated up through the
        >industrial buildings to their rooftops. A temporary soultion, to be
        >sure, and hopefully one of very limited duration.
        >Electric buses would be great if the proposed test district was
        >connected to a city with an existing comprehensive public transit
        >system.

        Let's face it, if you're running electric buses underground, you may as well go to a subway. Faster, smoother, safer, more capacity, more efficient, not much more expensive to build. Maybe even less!

        Rick

        editor@...
        Living Room Urban Ecology Web Magazine
        http://living-room.org
      • rauch@ai.mit.edu
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@e...>
          wrote:
          > Let's face it, if you're running electric buses underground, you may
          as well go to a subway. Faster, smoother, safer, more capacity, more
          efficient, not much more expensive to build.

          Agreed. The Boston area's transit agency is proposing to run an
          electric bus line, partially underground, as a long-promised
          replacement for an old elevated metro serving the inner-city area of
          Roxbury that last ran in 1986 (the so-called "Silver Line",
          http://brt.volpe.dot.gov/projects/boston.html). However, opponents
          residents of the area have made a good point that this is inferior and
          not much cheaper than a metro. The underground section (linking to the
          new Seaport District) has already seen its estimated budget rise to
          $600 million.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000
            Erik Rauch said:

            >Agreed. The Boston area's transit agency is proposing to run an
            >electric bus line, partially underground, as a long-promised
            >replacement for an old elevated metro serving the inner-city area of
            >Roxbury that last ran in 1986 (the so-called "Silver Line",
            >http://brt.volpe.dot.gov/projects/boston.html). However, opponents
            >residents of the area have made a good point that this is inferior and
            >not much cheaper than a metro. The underground section (linking to the
            >new Seaport District) has already seen its estimated budget rise to
            >$600 million.

            Lest we forget, the BigDig is costing as much as 22 of the underground
            sections. There should be plenty of money!

            ###

            J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
            postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2000
              J.H. Crawford wrote:

              >Erik Rauch said:
              >>Agreed. The Boston area's transit agency is proposing to run an
              >>electric bus line, partially underground, as a long-promised
              >>replacement for an old elevated metro serving the inner-city area of
              >>Roxbury that last ran in 1986 (the so-called "Silver Line",
              >>http://brt.volpe.dot.gov/projects/boston.html). However, opponents
              >>residents of the area have made a good point that this is inferior and
              >>not much cheaper than a metro. The underground section (linking to the
              >>new Seaport District) has already seen its estimated budget rise to
              >>$600 million.

              >Lest we forget, the BigDig is costing as much as 22 of the underground
              >sections. There should be plenty of money!

              That's if there is any money left over? Dawson