[carfree_cities] Rising Cost of Gas Drives Commuters to Metrolink .

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 26 6:33 AM
      Richard Risemberg <rickris-@...> wrote:
      >Catalina Island, about 24 miles off the coast of Los Angeles, is
      >largely (though not entirely) car-free.

      Speaking about L.A.
      http://www.latimes.com/communities/transit/trains/20000322/t000027207.html
      Let's hope gas prices stay high enough, because old/bad habits are hard to
      break.

      On the other side of the fence there is this article from the economist.
      http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_us5760.html
      Welcome to contemporary western society?
      Dawson
    • eyrehead@ameritech.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2000
        --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "frank zappa" <jbemel@u...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I was wondering if there are any cities in the United States that
        are
        > at least car limited.

        There are cities that have pedestrian areas, sort of like outdoor
        malls. It isn't much but it is a start.

        > So anyway, I want to make this happen, or be part of it. I want to
        live
        > in a city where cars are almost non existant. If none exist in the
        US,
        > Lets start one damnit! I'd move anywhere in the US to live in a car
        > free city, so how bout it? BTW I found this off of
        carsrcoffins.com,
        if
        > you like bikes, check it out.

        I think you are on the right track in two ways -- you are a biker,
        and
        you are thinking about how to turn back the blight.

        In the US, with its growing population of elderly (read that as less
        and less capable drivers) there will be a market for housing in areas
        that have most of the amenities within walking distance. Many of
        these people will be on rather fixed incomes so that being able to
        give up a car would be a relief. If a PLEASANT auto free life could
        be developed for them, other people would follow.

        I would like to see a complete redesign of sidewalks, a pedestrian
        strip closest to the buildings, a bikers'/bladers' lane beside that,
        then some close in handicapped parking interspersed with well planted
        doggie toilet areas next to the the bikers' strip, and then finally
        the auto area. Such sidewalks should be very spacious, lots of
        planters with trees, lots of room for cafes to spill out onto the
        sidewalk, bike parking stanchions.

        Urban life needs people on the streets, with their children and their
        pets, so that they are actually spending part of their lives there
        rather than just hurrying from place to place and hoping they are not
        mugged in the process.

        A biker/ blading lane is essential -- there are a lot of closet
        bikers
        out there who refrain for the danger of sharing a lane with cars. I
        hope you are careful as you bike -- I used to work in a large urban
        hospital and I saw a lot the results of a lot of bike/auto collisions
        and it wasn't pretty.

        Martha
      • eyrehead@ameritech.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2000
          I really wanted to get some kind of
          constructive
          > conversation going on how this could be done. I don't have all the
          > answers, in fact, I don't have ANY answers. So? Got any ideas?

          Okay, this would be for the US.

          There are co-operatives; in many cities they are old buildings which
          are owned by many people each of whom has a proprietary lease.
          Before someone can buy into one he is vetted for financial capability
          of holding up his share, since everyone is responsible for paying for
          the building and if one person welshes that requires everyone else to
          pay more.

          There is a tax break as there is on mortgage interest, though it is
          called something else. I will see if I can find the term and get
          back with you.

          Okay, now here's how it pertains to making autofree oases. When you
          buy into such a place, the contract can read a little like a
          neighborhood association, whether you will have planters on your
          sill, even the colors of curtains, some limits on remodelling like
          not
          taking out structural supports -- you get the idea. Well, not all
          cooperatives are single buildings. Near Birmingham, Michigan there
          is one that looks like any group of two story apartment buildings.
          But the point is, they can write the contract anyway they want for
          the area that is cooperatively owned. The contract COULD require that
          all cars be parked in one area, never driven in the rest of the
          cooperative.

          Barriers could enforce that, and signs explain it to the uninitiated.

          I know it sounds penny ante, but if that co-operative had that in
          their contract, if they isolated cars to one small part of the
          grounds, there would be several car free acres - something parents
          would be glad to have. It would also be quiet.

          Another approach...

          It may be hard to do in suburbia with each house with an attached
          garage, a lot of people simply would not agree to making a car free
          street, though, who knows, if one lot on the street was built with an
          underground garage to which only the people on the street had access,
          maybe you could get people to refrain from driving on the street.
          That is a stretch though, there would be a lot of grousing about
          weather and security.

          Both of these approaches start small and as in any worthwhile
          endeavor it takes some searching and scratching to find a way that
          works. But once it is found, it will take fire.

          Martha
        • eyrehead@ameritech.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2000
            --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "frank zappa" <jbemel@u...> wrote:
            > >Fine with me. Where and when?
            >
            > I don't know. How could it be done? Could a bunch of like minded car
            > haters just converged on a small town and sort of take it over? Tell
            > enough people in the right groups and the place would get the
            > reputation as a car free town.

            I don't think you could take over a town and turn it into Mackinac,
            but you may be able to get cooperation from neighbors and close off a
            street.

            This is an awful thing to say, but if a child in your neighborhood is
            hit by a car, that would be the time to push the idea.

            By the way, even though Mackinac Island is getting commercialized, it
            is still lovely. For some reason the insect life up there is more
            abundant than it is downstate. My husband and I go up there every
            summer and that is the only place we see a lot of honey bees. I
            don't
            think this is because there is a ban on pesticides.

            Martha
          • Sam K
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 30, 2000
              What about a carefree block? Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone on
              a single block agreed to remove the street and their driveways. In
              their place they could plant flowers, vegetables and grass. Isn't it
              amazing the idea of simply removing a single block is so outrageous?
              I live in Cambridge MA (where unfortunately houses cost a small
              fortune) but I would be more than happy to talk with anyone
              interested
              in this idea.
            • sarati@email.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 30, 2000
                > What about a carefree block? Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone
                on
                > a single block agreed to remove the street and their driveways. In
                > their place they could plant flowers, vegetables and grass. Isn't
                it
                > amazing the idea of simply removing a single block is so
                outrageous?
                > I live in Cambridge MA (where unfortunately houses cost a small
                > fortune) but I would be more than happy to talk with anyone
                > interested
                > in this idea.

                In the last year or so, I too have dreamed about creating a car-free
                community somewhere, or redesigning an existing town or urban center
                to operate without that iron shield we've wedged between ourselves
                and our neighbors. There has to be enough of us, like-minded folk to
                make this possible.

                I live in Marin county, just north of San Francisco, the so-called
                birthplace of mountain biking. You'd be quite shocked to see the
                amount of car (and SUV !?!) traffic clogging the streets of our
                towns, and an abysmal rate of carpooling I might add. I stand guilty
                myself, as there is no plausible way to get my children to school
                that doesn't require an automobile. And, we've NO schoolbus in the
                district either. 4.6 miles, 1 mountain, and a crowded freeway stand
                between home and school. Although a relocation is planned, I've not
                yet found a workable option.

                As for ideas on converting blocks or districts, I'm looking at
                Alameda - for those of you familiar with the bay area. It is
                virtually an island, with ferry service to San Francisco, near an
                International Airport (Oakland) and even close to a BART line. I'm
                not sure what is happening to the old military base, but if
                available, it could be completely redesigned. I think Alameda is a
                perfect size - large enough to support a thriving car-free community
                with shops, neighborhoods, schools, business and offices, the
                question is how do you convice the homeowners and business owners?

                Oh, I'm very pleased to have found this forum, I've been reading
                through some of the archived discussions and hope to get to know you
                all better in the time to come. I'm also very much looking forward to
                reading Carfree Cities, the website is amazing.

                Susan Arati
                sarati@...
              • Ronald Dawson
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2000
                  Sam K wrote:
                  >What about a carefree block? Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone on
                  >a single block agreed to remove the street and their driveways. In
                  >their place they could plant flowers, vegetables and grass. Isn't it
                  >amazing the idea of simply removing a single block is so outrageous?
                  >I live in Cambridge MA (where unfortunately houses cost a small
                  >fortune) but I would be more than happy to talk with anyone
                  >interested in this idea.

                  I have a video clip of a fictional carfree place that you might want to
                  watch?
                  http://www.startrek.com/library/media_voy.asp?id=19242 Dawson
                • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 1, 2000

                    Excellent idea! In the house I currently live in, there is driveway for
                    6 cars. In winter it takes an hour with a snow blower to remove snow, and
                    in the summer, all pines, small fruit, and leaves fall from trees, and they
                    use a gas sweeper to blow this away. Nearly half of the lot is dedicated
                    to cars. If I have a chance to buy a house that has a driveway, I'll first
                    modify the lot. I'll put a nice plant jar, or another ornament in the middle
                    of the driveway right next to the public sidewalk. Later I'll make a patio
                    and picnic table on the asphalt. If there are trees next to it, I guess I'll
                    remove the asphalt and put lawn. I'll make a nice concrete or brick wide
                    walkway right in front of my front door leading to the city walkway. If
                    there is a garage, I can't imagine all the ways I can make use of it instead
                    of storing a car: put bikes, carts, lawnmower, garden tools, wheelbarrow, or
                    even have enough room for a billard table!

                    > In the last year or so, I too have dreamed about creating a car-free
                    > community somewhere, or redesigning an existing town or urban center
                    > to operate without that iron shield we've wedged between ourselves
                    > and our neighbors. There has to be enough of us, like-minded folk to
                    > make this possible.

                    Yes. We just need to gather our forces and start a real project.
                    It's contradictory. Real estate agents show that houses on a cul-de-sac as
                    an advantage because it's nearly carfree, but some people who buy such a
                    house may not separate from his car.

                    > I live in Marin county, just north of San Francisco, the so-called
                    > birthplace of mountain biking. You'd be quite shocked to see the
                    > amount of car (and SUV !?!) traffic clogging the streets of our
                    > towns, and an abysmal rate of carpooling I might add. I stand guilty
                    > myself, as there is no plausible way to get my children to school
                    > that doesn't require an automobile. And, we've NO schoolbus in the
                    > district either. 4.6 miles, 1 mountain, and a crowded freeway stand
                    > between home and school. Although a relocation is planned, I've not
                    > yet found a workable option.

                    It's typically the worst situation there could be for a child to grow. They
                    can't walk or bike to school, and I guess they can't play in the streets,
                    and they don't even have a school bus. I feel so sad thinking a person
                    (especially a child) with good health, 2 arms and 2 legs, can't make it to
                    school or work because of those cars.

                    Me too, I plan to relocate as soon as I find a true carfree city, even if
                    Montreal is not that bad regarding transit. That's my ultimate life goal,
                    and I want to meet as many people as I can who have the same goal to serve
                    our project.

                    I sincerely wish you good luck to find a better place in your case.

                    Louis-Luc
                  • guy@subrosa.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2000
                      I agree with Louis, if I could have one thing above all in
                      my ideal city, it would be fewer cars. But I'm kind of impatient
                      with those who echo such sentiments without acting on them.
                      Anyone who feels this way should surely do all they can to kick
                      the private auto habit. I've done so, and nothing has been better
                      for my physical and mental health. If you don't act concretely on
                      your priorities, and can't see fit to make significant sacrifices
                      for them if necessary, how on Earth will they come to fruition?
                      Enough talk. Action!

                      I too would like to find enough people who share such sentiments
                      to make even a single carfree block in a city here in the US a
                      reality. But I doubt that anyone who lacks the commitment to start a
                      single carfree household, namely their own, would be prepared to work
                      for a whole carfree block, let alone city. This is the problem.

                      Would anyone who has already met the first hurdle of living carfree
                      themselves like to start with me on the next, starting a carfree
                      neighborhood, here in San Diego? Give me a call (858-558-1384) or
                      drop me an email.

                      Guy
                    • Mark Watson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 6, 2000
                        Hi Guy,

                        Are you inferring that members of this list are not carfree or car-lite? No
                        poll has been conducted that I know of. Egroups has that capability.
                        Although I'm not sure it should make a difference.

                        I read somewhere, maybe here, this analogy: A drug addict doesn't need to
                        be clean in order to say to his fellow addicts, "This sucks! Let's work
                        toward quitting."

                        We are trying, in our own way, to bring about the revolution. Some of us
                        chose a house, job, etc. before enlightenment. So it is harder. [But my
                        PCFD was Sept 1st, & my car hasn't move since.]

                        Leading by example is a good, but not the only, way to fight the fight.

                        Also, I believe that this list is more concerned w/ changing the built
                        environment to get rid of the need for cars in cities. Not the day-to-day
                        struggles of being carfree in the current world.

                        A better source for that may be the CarFree list.
                        http://www.egroups.com/group/CarFree

                        RE:San Diego, Bill Volk bvolk@... is member of that list & may be
                        able to help you in your local efforts. Please keep this list informed on
                        your progress. I am especially interested because that's my home town & I
                        still have family there.

                        Mark

                        ride safe. ride often. ride everywhere.

                        Mark Watson __o