"Solving the problem of the automobile"

  • Sam Hodgkinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2000
      "Solving the problem of the automobile"

      Well, it's a bloody big one, isn't it?
      Where can we start?...

      Who is the person responsible???

      Can we resurrect Henry Ford and give him a good spanking?

      I wonder - I'd certainly love to leave the biggest bruise on his bum!

      Sam.
      : P
    • Luco
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000

        Agree with you 100%. Almost all inventions the Man did are an
        improvement: radio, TV, telephone, computer, house, telescope,
        and even the wheel (wheelchair, bicycle, cart, and record player).

        None of the above will endanger human life and environment, but
        the car is the worst invention the man ever made because it's
        dangerous. Everyday I hear between 3 to 5 people die or are
        hurt by the car or truck and that sucks, even more if the victim is a
        pedestrian or a cyclist.

        A suggestion of a thing to do is to gather everyone who wants a
        carfree city and build one. I'm sure there is a sufficient number
        of people in many countries who'd like to move to a carfree city
        designed especially for them in their country. Lyon in France is
        a good example. If France citizens who desire to live in a carfree
        environment decide to move to Lyon, chances are that authorities
        will have to realize some part (and eventually all part) of Lyon
        must become carfree. Once we set up a real one, the citizens of surrounding
        cities (and maybe elsewhere too) still stuck in traffic jams may also
        realize Lyon offers a better life quality and convert their city too.

        Louis-Luc
      • eyrehead
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          Sam Hodgkinson wrote:

          > "Solving the problem of the automobile"
          >
          > Well, it's a bloody big one, isn't it?
          > Where can we start?...
          >
          > Who is the person responsible???
          >
          > Can we resurrect Henry Ford and give him a good spanking?
          >
          > I wonder - I'd certainly love to leave the biggest bruise on his bum!

          It makes me foam at the mouth, that commercial that quotes Henry Ford extolling the
          automobile as a way we can all enjoy the wide open spaces. Those wide open spaces
          have been subdivided and the owners of the houses are stuck in traffic jams.

          Martha
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000
            Since were on this theme relating to Henry Ford, for a moment consider the
            Henry Ford Museum & Greenfiled Village. http://www.hfmgv.org/
            http://www.hfmgv.org/village/index.html One should note that this museum one
            particular form of transport seems to be missing? Dawson

          • eyrehead
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2000

              > A suggestion of a thing to do is to gather everyone who wants a
              > carfree city and build one. I'm sure there is a sufficient number
              > of people in many countries who'd like to move to a carfree city
              > designed especially for them in their country. Lyon in France is
              > a good example. If France citizens who desire to live in a carfree
              > environment decide to move to Lyon, chances are that authorities
              > will have to realize some part (and eventually all part) of Lyon
              > must become carfree. Once we set up a real one, the citizens of surrounding

              Yes, small areas first. See what works, what doesn't, what's liked, what isn't.

              In suburbia, streets lined with houses, perhaps, if one lot at the end of the
              street could be the parking lot, maybe under ground, maybe partly underground,
              maybe an architecturally interesting parking structure, anyway, that could be where
              cars are kept in a car free street. Part of the contract of buying a house on a
              carfree street would be an agreement not to drive on the street. Emergency
              vehicles only. This could be a selling point for people with small children.
              The auto is so deadly that nearly everyone knows or knows of someone whose child
              has been hit by a car. Maybe the street could be a cul de sac to cars, but
              passable by bike.

              It seems farfetched but once smoke free areas in restaurants were outlandish. I
              think the best place to start carfree, or electric only public transportation would
              be in Florida or the SW US, in the retirement areas. These people have every
              incentive not to drive, they dislike noise, and sometimes have lung ailments
              exacerbated by pollution.

              Carfree is still a fringe idea in a lot of places, but a few working and attractive
              examples should push it into wider practice.

              Martha