Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Amtrak Acela update, along with revenue and ridership rise.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2000
      Nothing wrong with using government money to sustain the commons, and
      mass transit is effectively part of the commons. Roads as we all know
      never pay for themselves, and that's all right. We are buying access
      through this collective purchase. Otherwise every mile of road would
      have a tollbooth, and the railroads would be in the state they were when
      the robber baron set freight rates so high that farmers went broke
      shipping their harvests.

      Of course, with more urban farming we'd need less shipping, and with
      wiser choices in our transit investments--more rail, less road--we'd be
      getting a better deal.

      Richard

      Mike Lacey wrote:

      > --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "Ronald Dawson" <rdadddmd@t...>
      > wrote:
      > > In a way Amtrak is already in a public-private situation. Public
      > > trains-private track (outside the Northeast Corridor). Kind of like
      > the
      > > London Underground, but there is a need for other operators and
      > open access
      > > for tracks.
      >
      > Actually London Underground is public-public right now (though the
      > plan is to privatise soon).
      > The national (surface) rail is private-private. There is one track
      > company (railtrack) and a multitude of private train opererators. All
      > elements recieve governmant subsidy.
      >
      > Mike

      rickrise@...
      Living Room Urban Ecology webzine: http://www.living-room.org
      "There is more to life than increasing its speed." (Gandhi)