[carfree_cities] Re: Any existing car free cities in US?

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 26, 2000
      richard risemberg <rickris-@...> wrote:

      > Catalina Island, about 24 miles of the coast of Los Angeles, is
      largely
      > (though not entirely) car-free. There are some private cars and a lot
      > of golf carts, but most travel is by foot or bicycle (or coastal
      boat).
      > Of course there's only one town and it covers one square mile. But
      the
      > peacefulness is nice.

      Venice is, of course, made up entirely of islands. The, well,
      insularity, of islands makes it a simple matter to limit access
      to means that are desired. If Venice had been a land-based city
      surrounded by open land, it would today probably be just another
      city overrun by cars.

      There are other ways to make "islands" than by surrounding
      land with water. If a 100-square-mile parcel of land cold be
      assembled in a rural area, the first thing to do would be to
      establish a greenbelt at least a mile wide all around the
      perimeter. The only rights-of-way that would be permitted
      to cross this would be rail lines into the new city and
      the necessary roads to connect the utility areas to the
      external road network.

      So thinking "island" is a useful conceptualization.

      Of course, the conversion of existing cities to carfree cities
      will not be able to proceed in this manner. Some other image
      is necessary.

      J.H. Crawford
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 26, 2000
        Richard Risemberg <rickris-@...> wrote:
        >Catalina Island, about 24 miles off the coast of Los Angeles, is
        >largely (though not entirely) car-free.

        Speaking about L.A.
        http://www.latimes.com/communities/transit/trains/20000322/t000027207.html
        Let's hope gas prices stay high enough, because old/bad habits are hard to
        break.

        On the other side of the fence there is this article from the economist.
        http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_us5760.html
        Welcome to contemporary western society?
        Dawson
      • eyrehead@ameritech.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2000
          --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "frank zappa" <jbemel@u...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I was wondering if there are any cities in the United States that
          are
          > at least car limited.

          There are cities that have pedestrian areas, sort of like outdoor
          malls. It isn't much but it is a start.

          > So anyway, I want to make this happen, or be part of it. I want to
          live
          > in a city where cars are almost non existant. If none exist in the
          US,
          > Lets start one damnit! I'd move anywhere in the US to live in a car
          > free city, so how bout it? BTW I found this off of
          carsrcoffins.com,
          if
          > you like bikes, check it out.

          I think you are on the right track in two ways -- you are a biker,
          and
          you are thinking about how to turn back the blight.

          In the US, with its growing population of elderly (read that as less
          and less capable drivers) there will be a market for housing in areas
          that have most of the amenities within walking distance. Many of
          these people will be on rather fixed incomes so that being able to
          give up a car would be a relief. If a PLEASANT auto free life could
          be developed for them, other people would follow.

          I would like to see a complete redesign of sidewalks, a pedestrian
          strip closest to the buildings, a bikers'/bladers' lane beside that,
          then some close in handicapped parking interspersed with well planted
          doggie toilet areas next to the the bikers' strip, and then finally
          the auto area. Such sidewalks should be very spacious, lots of
          planters with trees, lots of room for cafes to spill out onto the
          sidewalk, bike parking stanchions.

          Urban life needs people on the streets, with their children and their
          pets, so that they are actually spending part of their lives there
          rather than just hurrying from place to place and hoping they are not
          mugged in the process.

          A biker/ blading lane is essential -- there are a lot of closet
          bikers
          out there who refrain for the danger of sharing a lane with cars. I
          hope you are careful as you bike -- I used to work in a large urban
          hospital and I saw a lot the results of a lot of bike/auto collisions
          and it wasn't pretty.

          Martha
        • eyrehead@ameritech.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2000
            I really wanted to get some kind of
            constructive
            > conversation going on how this could be done. I don't have all the
            > answers, in fact, I don't have ANY answers. So? Got any ideas?

            Okay, this would be for the US.

            There are co-operatives; in many cities they are old buildings which
            are owned by many people each of whom has a proprietary lease.
            Before someone can buy into one he is vetted for financial capability
            of holding up his share, since everyone is responsible for paying for
            the building and if one person welshes that requires everyone else to
            pay more.

            There is a tax break as there is on mortgage interest, though it is
            called something else. I will see if I can find the term and get
            back with you.

            Okay, now here's how it pertains to making autofree oases. When you
            buy into such a place, the contract can read a little like a
            neighborhood association, whether you will have planters on your
            sill, even the colors of curtains, some limits on remodelling like
            not
            taking out structural supports -- you get the idea. Well, not all
            cooperatives are single buildings. Near Birmingham, Michigan there
            is one that looks like any group of two story apartment buildings.
            But the point is, they can write the contract anyway they want for
            the area that is cooperatively owned. The contract COULD require that
            all cars be parked in one area, never driven in the rest of the
            cooperative.

            Barriers could enforce that, and signs explain it to the uninitiated.

            I know it sounds penny ante, but if that co-operative had that in
            their contract, if they isolated cars to one small part of the
            grounds, there would be several car free acres - something parents
            would be glad to have. It would also be quiet.

            Another approach...

            It may be hard to do in suburbia with each house with an attached
            garage, a lot of people simply would not agree to making a car free
            street, though, who knows, if one lot on the street was built with an
            underground garage to which only the people on the street had access,
            maybe you could get people to refrain from driving on the street.
            That is a stretch though, there would be a lot of grousing about
            weather and security.

            Both of these approaches start small and as in any worthwhile
            endeavor it takes some searching and scratching to find a way that
            works. But once it is found, it will take fire.

            Martha
          • eyrehead@ameritech.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2000
              --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "frank zappa" <jbemel@u...> wrote:
              > >Fine with me. Where and when?
              >
              > I don't know. How could it be done? Could a bunch of like minded car
              > haters just converged on a small town and sort of take it over? Tell
              > enough people in the right groups and the place would get the
              > reputation as a car free town.

              I don't think you could take over a town and turn it into Mackinac,
              but you may be able to get cooperation from neighbors and close off a
              street.

              This is an awful thing to say, but if a child in your neighborhood is
              hit by a car, that would be the time to push the idea.

              By the way, even though Mackinac Island is getting commercialized, it
              is still lovely. For some reason the insect life up there is more
              abundant than it is downstate. My husband and I go up there every
              summer and that is the only place we see a lot of honey bees. I
              don't
              think this is because there is a ban on pesticides.

              Martha
            • Sam K
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 30, 2000
                What about a carefree block? Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone on
                a single block agreed to remove the street and their driveways. In
                their place they could plant flowers, vegetables and grass. Isn't it
                amazing the idea of simply removing a single block is so outrageous?
                I live in Cambridge MA (where unfortunately houses cost a small
                fortune) but I would be more than happy to talk with anyone
                interested
                in this idea.
              • sarati@email.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 30, 2000
                  > What about a carefree block? Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone
                  on
                  > a single block agreed to remove the street and their driveways. In
                  > their place they could plant flowers, vegetables and grass. Isn't
                  it
                  > amazing the idea of simply removing a single block is so
                  outrageous?
                  > I live in Cambridge MA (where unfortunately houses cost a small
                  > fortune) but I would be more than happy to talk with anyone
                  > interested
                  > in this idea.

                  In the last year or so, I too have dreamed about creating a car-free
                  community somewhere, or redesigning an existing town or urban center
                  to operate without that iron shield we've wedged between ourselves
                  and our neighbors. There has to be enough of us, like-minded folk to
                  make this possible.

                  I live in Marin county, just north of San Francisco, the so-called
                  birthplace of mountain biking. You'd be quite shocked to see the
                  amount of car (and SUV !?!) traffic clogging the streets of our
                  towns, and an abysmal rate of carpooling I might add. I stand guilty
                  myself, as there is no plausible way to get my children to school
                  that doesn't require an automobile. And, we've NO schoolbus in the
                  district either. 4.6 miles, 1 mountain, and a crowded freeway stand
                  between home and school. Although a relocation is planned, I've not
                  yet found a workable option.

                  As for ideas on converting blocks or districts, I'm looking at
                  Alameda - for those of you familiar with the bay area. It is
                  virtually an island, with ferry service to San Francisco, near an
                  International Airport (Oakland) and even close to a BART line. I'm
                  not sure what is happening to the old military base, but if
                  available, it could be completely redesigned. I think Alameda is a
                  perfect size - large enough to support a thriving car-free community
                  with shops, neighborhoods, schools, business and offices, the
                  question is how do you convice the homeowners and business owners?

                  Oh, I'm very pleased to have found this forum, I've been reading
                  through some of the archived discussions and hope to get to know you
                  all better in the time to come. I'm also very much looking forward to
                  reading Carfree Cities, the website is amazing.

                  Susan Arati
                  sarati@...
                • Ronald Dawson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 1, 2000
                    Sam K wrote:
                    >What about a carefree block? Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone on
                    >a single block agreed to remove the street and their driveways. In
                    >their place they could plant flowers, vegetables and grass. Isn't it
                    >amazing the idea of simply removing a single block is so outrageous?
                    >I live in Cambridge MA (where unfortunately houses cost a small
                    >fortune) but I would be more than happy to talk with anyone
                    >interested in this idea.

                    I have a video clip of a fictional carfree place that you might want to
                    watch?
                    http://www.startrek.com/library/media_voy.asp?id=19242 Dawson
                  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 1, 2000

                      Excellent idea! In the house I currently live in, there is driveway for
                      6 cars. In winter it takes an hour with a snow blower to remove snow, and
                      in the summer, all pines, small fruit, and leaves fall from trees, and they
                      use a gas sweeper to blow this away. Nearly half of the lot is dedicated
                      to cars. If I have a chance to buy a house that has a driveway, I'll first
                      modify the lot. I'll put a nice plant jar, or another ornament in the middle
                      of the driveway right next to the public sidewalk. Later I'll make a patio
                      and picnic table on the asphalt. If there are trees next to it, I guess I'll
                      remove the asphalt and put lawn. I'll make a nice concrete or brick wide
                      walkway right in front of my front door leading to the city walkway. If
                      there is a garage, I can't imagine all the ways I can make use of it instead
                      of storing a car: put bikes, carts, lawnmower, garden tools, wheelbarrow, or
                      even have enough room for a billard table!

                      > In the last year or so, I too have dreamed about creating a car-free
                      > community somewhere, or redesigning an existing town or urban center
                      > to operate without that iron shield we've wedged between ourselves
                      > and our neighbors. There has to be enough of us, like-minded folk to
                      > make this possible.

                      Yes. We just need to gather our forces and start a real project.
                      It's contradictory. Real estate agents show that houses on a cul-de-sac as
                      an advantage because it's nearly carfree, but some people who buy such a
                      house may not separate from his car.

                      > I live in Marin county, just north of San Francisco, the so-called
                      > birthplace of mountain biking. You'd be quite shocked to see the
                      > amount of car (and SUV !?!) traffic clogging the streets of our
                      > towns, and an abysmal rate of carpooling I might add. I stand guilty
                      > myself, as there is no plausible way to get my children to school
                      > that doesn't require an automobile. And, we've NO schoolbus in the
                      > district either. 4.6 miles, 1 mountain, and a crowded freeway stand
                      > between home and school. Although a relocation is planned, I've not
                      > yet found a workable option.

                      It's typically the worst situation there could be for a child to grow. They
                      can't walk or bike to school, and I guess they can't play in the streets,
                      and they don't even have a school bus. I feel so sad thinking a person
                      (especially a child) with good health, 2 arms and 2 legs, can't make it to
                      school or work because of those cars.

                      Me too, I plan to relocate as soon as I find a true carfree city, even if
                      Montreal is not that bad regarding transit. That's my ultimate life goal,
                      and I want to meet as many people as I can who have the same goal to serve
                      our project.

                      I sincerely wish you good luck to find a better place in your case.

                      Louis-Luc
                    • guy@subrosa.org
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2000
                        I agree with Louis, if I could have one thing above all in
                        my ideal city, it would be fewer cars. But I'm kind of impatient
                        with those who echo such sentiments without acting on them.
                        Anyone who feels this way should surely do all they can to kick
                        the private auto habit. I've done so, and nothing has been better
                        for my physical and mental health. If you don't act concretely on
                        your priorities, and can't see fit to make significant sacrifices
                        for them if necessary, how on Earth will they come to fruition?
                        Enough talk. Action!

                        I too would like to find enough people who share such sentiments
                        to make even a single carfree block in a city here in the US a
                        reality. But I doubt that anyone who lacks the commitment to start a
                        single carfree household, namely their own, would be prepared to work
                        for a whole carfree block, let alone city. This is the problem.

                        Would anyone who has already met the first hurdle of living carfree
                        themselves like to start with me on the next, starting a carfree
                        neighborhood, here in San Diego? Give me a call (858-558-1384) or
                        drop me an email.

                        Guy
                      • Mark Watson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 6, 2000
                          Hi Guy,

                          Are you inferring that members of this list are not carfree or car-lite? No
                          poll has been conducted that I know of. Egroups has that capability.
                          Although I'm not sure it should make a difference.

                          I read somewhere, maybe here, this analogy: A drug addict doesn't need to
                          be clean in order to say to his fellow addicts, "This sucks! Let's work
                          toward quitting."

                          We are trying, in our own way, to bring about the revolution. Some of us
                          chose a house, job, etc. before enlightenment. So it is harder. [But my
                          PCFD was Sept 1st, & my car hasn't move since.]

                          Leading by example is a good, but not the only, way to fight the fight.

                          Also, I believe that this list is more concerned w/ changing the built
                          environment to get rid of the need for cars in cities. Not the day-to-day
                          struggles of being carfree in the current world.

                          A better source for that may be the CarFree list.
                          http://www.egroups.com/group/CarFree

                          RE:San Diego, Bill Volk bvolk@... is member of that list & may be
                          able to help you in your local efforts. Please keep this list informed on
                          your progress. I am especially interested because that's my home town & I
                          still have family there.

                          Mark

                          ride safe. ride often. ride everywhere.

                          Mark Watson __o