New Beta version of City Design site at Carfree.com

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2000
      Hi all,

      As members of this list, you're now designated guinea pigs
      for the new City Design site at Carfree.com:

      http://www.carfree.com/design/

      There's only one thread so far, Courtyards.

      This one thread is about 750 kB, so it's not for the
      faint-hearted. The whole site will be like this--I just
      can't do what I want to do with smaller files.

      The graphics are still somewhat rough, but the general
      appearance is about as I intend. Some of the images need
      more sharpening, and the drawing of the reference block
      looks awful, but you get the idea.

      There could be as many as 20 threads under this section.

      What should I change before I go ahead?

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Justin & Tracy Simpson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2000
        I enjoyed the pictures in this new section, but I have a couple of
        questions. What is the purpose of the design section? You have referred to
        each topic as a thread, which to me implied a discussion thread, like a
        newsgroup or something. My other question is how are you planning to
        integrate this design section in with the rest of carfree.com?

        suggestions
        - I think you should explain on the /design page that this section is about
        'Real Life Examples' or something to that effect.
        - decrease the font size, so that each picture can be viewed with it's text
        on one 1024x768 screen.
        -add a list of links at the top of the page, with the names of the
        courtyards. Each name can be clicked on to bring the visitor down to that
        picture. That way people with modem connections know what they are waiting
        for. you could also make some small thumbnails of the images to put beside
        each link, which will load quickly. I liked the courtyard and city gate
        thumbnails you already have.
        -create a link after each picture so that the visitor can get back to the
        top of the page without scrolling.
        -there is a brief discussion of courtyards on
        http://www.carfree.com/block.html , perhaps you should link to that, or
        mention it on the courtyard thread? That page also explains the refence
        block in a bit more detail.

        that's my 22 cents worth.

        -Justin Simpson

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2000
          Hi,

          Thanks for your note.

          >I enjoyed the pictures in this new section, but I have a couple of
          >questions. What is the purpose of the design section?

          I'm trying to show people, mainly using pictures, how good
          urban public spaces should be organized.

          >You have referred to
          >each topic as a thread, which to me implied a discussion thread, like a
          >newsgroup or something.

          No, that wasn't the intention--a "thread" is just a string of
          images and their related text, presumably each with some
          unifying theme.

          >My other question is how are you planning to
          >integrate this design section in with the rest of carfree.com?

          Probably as a sub-site, in the same way the postcards are
          done now.

          >suggestions
          >- I think you should explain on the /design page that this section is about
          >'Real Life Examples' or something to that effect.

          There will be some introductory text to that effect.

          >- decrease the font size, so that each picture can be viewed with it's text
          >on one 1024x768 screen.

          I'll think about that. I don't like looking at all that
          tiny text--it's hard on the eyes. The intermediate sizes
          are not attractive or easy to read. I may even think of
          outputting the final text as 1-bit GIFs, which would
          be very small files and also achieve the goal of good-looking,
          easy-to-read text. It's a problem, all right.

          >-add a list of links at the top of the page, with the names of the
          >courtyards. Each name can be clicked on to bring the visitor down to that
          >picture. That way people with modem connections know what they are waiting
          >for. you could also make some small thumbnails of the images to put beside
          >each link, which will load quickly. I liked the courtyard and city gate
          >thumbnails you already have.

          Thumbnails are fine and can be attractive, but it can
          make for a lot of clicking around, which I'd prefer
          to avoid. I'll think about it.

          >-create a link after each picture so that the visitor can get back to the
          >top of the page without scrolling.

          why would they want to go to the page top? What's wrong
          with ctrl+home? Don't want this to be too cluttered.

          >-there is a brief discussion of courtyards on
          >http://www.carfree.com/block.html , perhaps you should link to that, or
          >mention it on the courtyard thread? That page also explains the refence
          >block in a bit more detail.

          Yes, something like that will be needed. It needs to tie
          in to the main site more than it does. This was mainly
          just a working prototype to test the design; it would
          have to be integrated as well as possible.

          >that's my 22 cents worth.

          Thanks!

          Regards,

          Joel