bicycle direct action

  • Jason Meggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2000
      Well it came just after Car-Free Month (an ambitious little upstart
      campaign in the SF Bay Area, USA), but we did BIKE THE BRIDGE (the
      prohibited San Francisc-Oakland Bay Bridge) on Monday. Seven cyclists
      arrested, one still in jail. BEAUTIFUL RIDE.

      Stories and photos at http://www.bikethebridge.org/
      Lots of newspaper stories online.

      This was foremost an emergency response to the veto of the number one
      bicycle/pedestrian bill of the year. We have also been pushing the idea
      of phasing in car-free, sustainable cities well-served by transit and a
      number of other protest concerns.

      The bill was vetoed by our "governor" on Friday, Sept. 29, just before the
      major Critical Mass (our 8th birthday ride!). Activists quickly assembled
      an effigy of the governor before the ride and burned him like he burned
      us. Just on a much, much smaller scale. But it looked fabulous on the
      news.

      Hope your car-free efforts are in fine shape,

      --Jason